It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

penarth bloke

Re: Charles Street Mixed Use Development with Tower

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 5:07 pm

Karl wrote:I must be missing something. I really don't rate the tower aspect at all. I think its embarrasing. The view of the podium from Bridge Street is ok and will look better when the comercial units are there but the views from Churchill Way and Charles street are terrible. I know architecture is subjective but I think maybe some people have been seduced by its height.
It's ok to have an opinion, I regret the the destruction of the Terminus Building!!

Karl

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 5:17 pm

I think I'm probably very much in the minority on here. It wouldn't do for us all to be the same I suppose but I really don''t get it. I've been consistent in not liking it. When the first bit of classing went on the tower element- which was completely different to the renders which suggested a warm, light copper finish - I had misgivings but thought I'd wait until it finished. But as it has risen I've just disliked it more and more.

If it was just the tower that would be bad enough but the way the black brick and red cladding podium interacts with the Churchill Way and Charles Street elevations is really poor. I think the architects/developers have shit the bed on this one.

That being said I can appreciate that others may feel differently. I just hope that high rise student resi hits the skids and we avoid any more towers like this....

Owen

PostThu Sep 06, 2018 5:33 pm

I have mixed feelings on it. It’s better than I feared now that it’s being pulled together at the bottom. I really like the tower. It’s different & interesting. You can definitely see a lot of quality throughout which can’t be said for older towers in Cardiff.

But why that horrible red colour?

If it had been the colours from the renders, I’d have been over the moon

Lyndon

PostFri Sep 07, 2018 9:21 pm

I'm happy to say I'm a bit of a fan of this one, and certainly more than I am of the bile-coloured abomination currently under construction on Herbert Street.

Shminky Binky

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 9:14 am

Lyndon wrote:I'm happy to say I'm a bit of a fan of this one, and certainly more than I am of the bile-coloured abomination currently under construction on Herbert Street.

Indeed. I can’t get my head around why they chose that colour scheme. I’ve been trying for a while to figure out where they got the idea from for that colour. My best guess was that someone stirred brown sauce into their pea soup and had a lightbulb moment, but I think you have got it spot on with bile.

amp

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Yes I’m not liking the Herbert build so far. Wrong colour.

EvanRoberts

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 3:40 pm

I don't like it, not terrible but not pleasing to they eye either, but then I don't like 90% of modern architecture.

cjenkinswales

PostSat Sep 08, 2018 4:41 pm

I don't like the windows on the Herbert Tower. They look like the type of windows you would have on a low level block of flats. PVC cheap windows come to mind :(

PenarthBoy

PostSun Sep 09, 2018 8:34 am

Does anyone have any indication as to who will be occupying the commercial units? If I’m correct, I cannot recall seeing anything on the Council’s planning page, and I find it difficult to think of who would want to occupy this site.

DJKiran

PostTue Oct 22, 2019 8:02 pm

A year on from its completion and half of the bottom floor is empty and unfinished. Like, they just stopped working on it half-way through....
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum