It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:04 am

St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Andrew J

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 3:33 pm

Upmarket furniture retailer Swoon is also opening in St Davids

Victor Clam

PostWed Sep 19, 2018 9:16 pm

Didn’t Swoon already have a shop in St David’s a couple of years ago?

Andrew J

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 9:42 am

That was Dwell....who are meant to be reopening shortly in Cardiff Gate

RandomComment

PostThu Sep 20, 2018 12:31 pm

Andrew J wrote:Upmarket furniture retailer Swoon is also opening in St Davids

Will it actually be a store or just a concession in somewhere else?

https://www.swooneditions.com/see-us-at

"We don't believe in big expensive showrooms. Instead we use pop-ups and partnerships to showcase our products".

Both "stores" are currently Debenhams concessions.

Amoore

PostFri Sep 21, 2018 10:15 am

Today's Echo reports that Bershka is opening in St Davids "soon". Not sure that's news considering it was reported here in June.

jonnywill25

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 12:52 am

New letting plans as of August 2018:

https://www.intugroup.co.uk/media/5232/ ... g-plan.pdf

Nothing particularly exciting! Surprised to see the old Chimichanga unit isn’t in negotiations yet. Also, pleased to see UG46/47 is in solicitors hands. Hopefully that will be another Inditex fascia, potentially Pull & Bear? Could also imagine Uniqlo in this location.

From planning applications and rumours we know the following:

- UG01/02 is to be Bershka

- UG32 is rumoured to be Ecco following the opening of Neon Sheep

- KLG16 is to be Slim Chickens (Second UK opening)

- SDW30 is to be Neon Sheep

RandomComment

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 1:38 pm

The thing I notice about that map is the great swathe of white upstairs by the entrance to John Lewis. That has proved stubbornly difficult to let. There was that lingerie shop, but apart from that those units have been empty since opening.

I think that reflects that John Lewis really hasn't been the pull in Cardiff that was hoped. In particular, it hasn't really done well in women's fashion (the idea was the upper level would attract good female-focused fashion brands to take advantage of customers walking between Debenham's womenswear and John Lewis's womenswear) nor furniture. I think it does OK in relation to electronics, men's fashion, and nic-nacks on the ground floor.

I'm not sure if things are that bad, but could John Lewis pull out at some point?

Andrew J

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 3:22 pm

I'm not sure that's totally correct as the large unit on the one side was A & F brand Gilly Hicks for many years until the company closed all its stores. By all accounts the Cardiff branch had been performing well. True the unit on the other side has never been occupied but it was reconfigured several years ago and let to Byron Burger before their CVA which resulted in the conpany scaling back and no opening in Cardiff

Amoore

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 5:02 pm

Haven't John Lewis got a 250 year lease or something? I can't imagine them pulling out, although I believe they've not long started paying rent after a ridiculously long rent-free period given to them as an incentive to open in Cardiff.

RandomComment

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 5:40 pm

Andrew J wrote:I'm not sure that's totally correct as the large unit on the one side was A & F brand Gilly Hicks for many years until the company closed all its stores. By all accounts the Cardiff branch had been performing well. True the unit on the other side has never been occupied but it was reconfigured several years ago and let to Byron Burger before their CVA which resulted in the conpany scaling back and no opening in Cardiff

It was Gilly Hicks (lingerie) for a couple of years. But it took quite a while to let (the store only opened in late 2011), and its proven stubborn to relet since Gilly Hicks shut down in Q1 2014: over 4 1/2 years ago!

And I'm not sure John Lewis has "by all accounts" performing well. J Lewis's weekly sales figures never said what the actual sales were but they ranked them according to absolute (cash terms) change in sales. Even if posting a fairly healthy percentage increase, Cardiff would sit a fair way down the rankings. The fact its absolute sales increases weren't that big for pretty big % increases means its overall absolute sales weren't that high. In fact, I remember working out it was turning over less than stores in places like High Wycombe and Cambridge: significantly smaller stores and significantly smaller retail centres.

They stopped producing store-by-store figures as that also meant separating on- and off-line sales. And stores were getting upset about that given that a hefty proportion of sales actually made online were either collected in store or based on first going in store.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum