It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:31 am

St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lyndon

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostMon Oct 15, 2018 5:46 pm

Coast looks like it's closed, that was one of the original openers in SD2 IIRC.

Andrew J

PostTue Oct 16, 2018 1:04 pm

Coast has closed all its 24 Stand alone stores so not just cardiff. Only concessions in department stores now

jonnywill25

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 4:55 pm

jonnywill25 wrote:New letting plans as of August 2018:

https://www.intugroup.co.uk/media/5232/ ... g-plan.pdf

Nothing particularly exciting! Surprised to see the old Chimichanga unit isn’t in negotiations yet. Also, pleased to see UG46/47 is in solicitors hands. Hopefully that will be another Inditex fascia, potentially Pull & Bear? Could also imagine Uniqlo in this location.

From planning applications and rumours we know the following:

- UG01/02 is to be Bershka

- UG32 is rumoured to be Ecco following the opening of Neon Sheep

- KLG16 is to be Slim Chickens (Second UK opening)

- SDW30 is to be Neon Sheep

Following my amazement that KUG06 is available, I've been thinking about potential restaurant chains who could potentially occupy this space. This unit offers 4,776 Sq Ft of space and would be a great location for any restaurant entering the Cardiff market. Below are my suggestions... What do we think in regards to these? Can anyone suggest any other potential chain?

- Giraffe
- The Real Greek
- Comptoir Libanais
- Cabana
- Thaikun

Mr Blue Sky

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 8:21 pm

jonnywill25 wrote:

Nothing particularly exciting! Surprised to see the old Chimichanga unit isn’t in negotiations yet. Also, pleased to see UG46/47 is in solicitors hands. Hopefully that will be another Inditex fascia, potentially Pull & Bear? Could also imagine Uniqlo in this location.

Following my amazement that KUG06 is available, I've been thinking about potential restaurant chains who could potentially occupy this space. This unit offers 4,776 Sq Ft of space and would be a great location for any restaurant entering the Cardiff market. Below are my suggestions... What do we think in regards to these? Can anyone suggest any other potential chain?

- Giraffe
- The Real Greek
- Comptoir Libanais
- Cabana
- Thaikun

I’d like to see one of the new wave Indian Restaurants like Moksh, Pickled Pepper or Mint and Mustard in the city centre. Or maybe a high-end Chinese. It’s incredible that there are so few curry and Chinese restaurants in town. I know there have been a few buffets but I can only think of three curry houses and one Chinese in central Cardiff.

Amoore

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 2:50 pm

There's quite a few Indian restaurants in the city centre:

Juboraj - Mill Lane
Spice Quarter - Brewery Quarter
Mango House - Westgate Street
Chai St - High Street

And Mowgli is opening in the new development on St John Street.

I don't think Indian/Chinese restaurants have a strong enough daytime trade to sustain a unit in St Davids.

Mr Blue Sky

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 5:26 pm

Deleted
Last edited by Mr Blue Sky on Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr Blue Sky

PostThu Oct 18, 2018 5:31 pm

Amoore wrote:There's quite a few Indian restaurants in the city centre:

Juboraj - Mill Lane
Spice Quarter - Brewery Quarter
Mango House - Westgate Street
Chai St - High Street

And Mowgli is opening in the new development on St John Street.

I don't think Indian/Chinese restaurants have a strong enough daytime trade to sustain a unit in St Davids.

Like I said 3 curry houses and one Chinese. Having eaten in Chai Street I wouldn't call it curry...more a hipster idea of an artisan interpretation of Indian street food bollocks.

You may well be correct but I've no idea why people are reluctant to eat curry before 6pm. When I lived in Bradford I used to have curry for lunch twice a week. And the "world" buffets - which tend to be Chinese heavy - are usually busy at lunch time. As is London's Chinatown.

jonnywill25

PostTue Nov 20, 2018 12:41 pm

Ecco have confirmed their relocation from St David’s Way to UG32 (the unit previously occupied by JoJo Maman Bebe)

EvanRoberts

PostFri Nov 23, 2018 5:04 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote: Having eaten in Chai Street I wouldn't call it curry...more a hipster idea of an artisan interpretation of Indian street food bollocks.

Yes what we want is good traditional Curry, you know like from Birmingham. Not these Hipsters from Kerala or Karnataka, which I think are districts in London, bordering Islington. Don't they know that if it is not drowning in liquid it is not curry, if only they could just stick to authentic dishes like Chicken Tikka Masala.

There is also Bwyta Bwyd Bombai in one of the arcades, I had a decent masala dosa there once.

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Nov 24, 2018 2:07 am

EvanRoberts wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote: Having eaten in Chai Street I wouldn't call it curry...more a hipster idea of an artisan interpretation of Indian street food bollocks.

Yes what we want is good traditional Curry, you know like from Birmingham. Not these Hipsters from Kerala or Karnataka, which I think are districts in London, bordering Islington. Don't they know that if it is not drowning in liquid it is not curry, if only they could just stick to authentic dishes like Chicken Tikka Masala.

There is also Bwyta Bwyd Bombai in one of the arcades, I had a decent masala dosa there once.

I’ve never eaten Chicken Tikka Massala. Many people like boring traditional Bangladeshi British curries and there aren’t enough good examples of this type of restaurant in central Cardiff. Thera are plenty in the inner city, on the periphery of the city centre but a dearth in the centre itself. Maybe that is because Cardiff city centre is plagued with post-ironic bearded no-marks who flaunt their insecurities by making tedious put downs disguised as banter.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum