It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:44 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Rhodri

Re: General Developments

PostWed Oct 17, 2018 7:47 pm

Great proposal. One thing though, Network Rail really need to sort out the weeds in and around the lanes. They are very untidy and they look awful.

Karl

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 10:41 am

There is an application to demolish the Gaiety Cinema building in City Rd to 'facilitate development'.

I suppose this was inevitable given that it has been empty for many years and must be in a terrible state of disrepair. Still a shame though. I hope it's not more student accommodation. Regardless of what pony the architects chuck into the Design and Access Statement they are almost always grim and value engineered to the nth degree.

I always thought the Gaiety could be turned into an indoor street food market, to build on City Road's reputation as a bit of an eating out destination but obviously not to be.

RandomComment

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 5:00 pm

Karl wrote:I always thought the Gaiety could be turned into an indoor street food market, to build on City Road's reputation as a bit of an eating out destination but obviously not to be.

Cardiff doesn't really have a stand out secondary centre thats a destination for people from outside the area. Thats certainly true of shopping (we have no Clifton a la Bristol, Lisburn Road a la Belfast). I think its even true for dining. Places like City Road or Cowbridge Road East have an eclectic range of eateries, but I get the impression people don't really travel that far to visit them. People living by have a nice wide choice, but people living in Rhiwbina or Pontprennau or Radyr don't make a special effort.

I think that's what you'd need for a street food place to sort of take off.

Philnpt

PostFri Oct 19, 2018 9:41 pm

Looks like it’s gonna be a large multi storey student accommodation development
Attachments
8DE13225-64B4-44D3-A9C8-C86159515061.jpeg
8DE13225-64B4-44D3-A9C8-C86159515061.jpeg (226.98 KiB) Viewed 7035 times

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 1:15 pm

RandomComment wrote:
Karl wrote:I always thought the Gaiety could be turned into an indoor street food market, to build on City Road's reputation as a bit of an eating out destination but obviously not to be.

Cardiff doesn't really have a stand out secondary centre thats a destination for people from outside the area. Thats certainly true of shopping (we have no Clifton a la Bristol, Lisburn Road a la Belfast). I think its even true for dining. Places like City Road or Cowbridge Road East have an eclectic range of eateries, but I get the impression people don't really travel that far to visit them. People living by have a nice wide choice, but people living in Rhiwbina or Pontprennau or Radyr don't make a special effort.

I think that's what you'd need for a street food place to sort of take off.

I think that the Bay, Pontcanna/Canton and Penarth all have many restaurants and bars that draw people in from a much wider area. TripAdvisor will confirm my assertion if you have any doubts.

Philnpt

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 1:58 pm

I’ve just stumbled across this development for Newport road, looks like it’s on the corner of Newport road and east grove, roughly the same height of the planned hallinans house tower
http://www.baseassociates.co.uk/projects/cardiff-tower/

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 2:49 pm

Bloody hell. My gut is telling me that's more student accommodation, surely it cannot be?

Owen

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 3:19 pm

From Russell Goodway’s report for next month’s council meeting:

I am advised that, thanks to the efforts of the Council’s economic development team, we can expect an announcement soon regarding a major new investment in Cardiff by a leading fin-tech business.

dave

PostSat Oct 20, 2018 4:34 pm

This new investment announced by Goodway is just Monzo I assume, no one new else isnt it

Bishop84

PostSun Oct 21, 2018 1:58 pm

Philnpt wrote:I’ve just stumbled across this development for Newport road, looks like it’s on the corner of Newport road and east grove, roughly the same height of the planned hallinans house tower
http://www.baseassociates.co.uk/projects/cardiff-tower/

Looks like it encroaches into the Tredegarville Conservation Area so they may have a hard time at planning.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum