It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

Central Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Owen

Re: Central Square

PostWed Nov 07, 2018 11:08 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:I'm surprised by the reduced number of cycle spaces, palming it off to Network Rail isn't going to encourage use. I still don't understand the parking needs for the BBC staff. And I still don't think there is enough bay's to accommodate the city (and proposed Metro!).

I do however like the proposed visual. I very much doubt we will see any activity until Spring 2019.

Why do you think it will be Spring?

Jonathan

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 7:57 am

I must admit that I'm a little underwhelmed by the whole development. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but not wow. It's such large space and a shame that so much of it is low rise. This was a great opportunity to really add to the skyline.

It's also disappointing that the bus station tower is relatively low-rise.

Maybe living in Vancouver (and being in Toronto last week) has spoiled me!

Kyle

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 10:36 am

Jonathan wrote:I must admit that I'm a little underwhelmed by the whole development. It's nice, don't get me wrong, but not wow. It's such large space and a shame that so much of it is low rise. This was a great opportunity to really add to the skyline.

It's also disappointing that the bus station tower is relatively low-rise.

Maybe living in Vancouver (and being in Toronto last week) has spoiled me!

It's about right density wise for where Cardiff is at size wise and in particular size of the office market at the moment.

I'd love some tall office towers as well, but the demand isn't there.

Residential towers is another thing, I'm not sure why we are stuck at the mid-twenties level, maybe again it's a demand thing.

Simon__200

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 1:27 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:I'm surprised by the reduced number of cycle spaces, palming it off to Network Rail isn't going to encourage use. I still don't understand the parking needs for the BBC staff. And I still don't think there is enough bay's to accommodate the city (and proposed Metro!).

I do however like the proposed visual. I very much doubt we will see any activity until Spring 2019.

What happened actually with the parking arrangement for the BBC building? Was there not basement parking on the original plans?

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Nov 08, 2018 1:34 pm

Owen wrote:

Why do you think it will be Spring?

There's no contractor.

Simon__200 wrote:

What happened actually with the parking arrangement for the BBC building? Was there not basement parking on the original plans?

Not sure, but they definitely have a basement, as does Plot 2. Surely they must include disabled bays for the flats?

DaveE

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 7:34 pm

Some strong winds tonight have knocked 2 upright sections of the metal frame which surrounds the windows of 2 Central Square off the building, they look fairly heavy and are the height of around 2 floors (they cover the main supporting pillars in front of the recessed section). Luckily they were on the ground floor opposite 1 Central Sq, the area hasn’t been closed off - yet! Interesting to see if they now have to cover the whole building in scaffolding for years while they investigate the issue (not another Radisson)

Ash

PostFri Nov 09, 2018 8:23 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote: Not sure, but they definitely have a basement, as does Plot 2. Surely they must include disabled bays for the flats?

The are parking spaces for BBC operational vehicles and for staff working early morning and late night shifts + some visitor parking. IIRC there are around 250-300 spaces planned spread between the basement and the Interchange multi-storey. That compares with around 900 spaces at the twin sites in Llandaff.

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Nov 10, 2018 11:19 am

Ash wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote: Not sure, but they definitely have a basement, as does Plot 2. Surely they must include disabled bays for the flats?

The are parking spaces for BBC operational vehicles and for staff working early morning and late night shifts + some visitor parking. IIRC there are around 250-300 spaces planned spread between the basement and the Interchange multi-storey. That compares with around 900 spaces at the twin sites in Llandaff.

I wasn't aware that spaces are going in the basement as well as the interchange. I wonder how they'll distinguish who parks on which site? ;)

Kyle

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 12:25 pm

Karl

PostThu Nov 22, 2018 1:32 pm

Seems like a long time to demolish a building unless some of the leases are still running? On that note where are the Antics and Hobbies and Comic Guru shops moving to? I hope they stay in town somewhere - maybe one of the arcades?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum