It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:34 am

New hotels next to Principality Stadium?

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

New hotels next to Principality Stadium?

PostTue Nov 27, 2018 7:44 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/commercial-property/plans-two-hotels-principality-stadium-15472959

Interesting, and further mention of earlier proposals for a 5 star conversion of Post Office and ParkGate buildings, which have apparently stalls (looks like because they're not willing to pay the current owners enough).

Article suggests all 3 hotels (two five-star and one three star) could all go ahead, subject to market demand. I somehow doubt there is the market demand for that many extra hotel rooms, especially at the top end (and with the two new Premier Inns, surely the low/middle market is gonna struggle a bit too?).

Kyle

Re: New hotels next to Principality Stadium?

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 6:47 am

I'll believe it when I see planning permission for any of them.

I'm curious how this affects the Central Quay plans for a hotel, which I think was for a lower class of hotel anyway, but this suggests one three star. As you point out, with the current expansion of Premier Inn, but also Travelodge and Easyhotel added in to the mix I'm curious if there's enough demand. Yes, at peak times for concerts and matches, but what about regular weeks for general business visitors and tourists?

The five star hotel one is still Celtic Manor I guess.

Ash

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 10:10 am

Kyle wrote:I'll believe it when I see planning permission for any of them.

I'm with you on that, Kyle. How many plans have we seen for these sites over the years? None of them has come to anything. I suppose Rightacres involvement might be a sign that something might happen but I'm not holding my breath.

MattW

PostWed Nov 28, 2018 10:11 am

The old Post Office building would be ideal for a 5 star hotel, the inside of it is fantastic! A shame it has sat there vacant for years.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum