It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

paul cardiffwalesmap

Re: New tower of glass opposit the golden cross

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 2:03 am

JR Smart always seem to be pushing forward and I really hope we hear something about the Callaghan Square development soon. But the last on the Capital Quarter site is number 5 so I'd be very happy if that was the next development they proceed with? A change from the rest of the site and the icing on the cake (in my opinion) for Capital Quarter. Call me an optimist but capital qtr 5, John Street, and the Customhouse tower would be very nice for the area! to slightly extend my wishful thinking and nothing mentioned about this officially to date but I'd love to see Harlech Court flattened (actually there was a proposal about a decade ago) and something pretty tall there - perhaps a residential tower. Then hopefully if we get the new arena down the bay then the motorpoint site would be a great location for another impressive tower! OK last one... instead of Rapports wanting to flatten the madeira - thai house and gwdihw, flatten the rapports building and that, in conjunction with the car park would be yet another site for an impressive development! Although the Rapports building could be allowed to survive (any thoughts on the value of keeping this building?) and then still plenty of room in car park ;)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Kyle

PostSat Jan 12, 2019 5:16 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:JR Smart always seem to be pushing forward and I really hope we hear something about the Callaghan Square development soon. But the last on the Capital Quarter site is number 5 so I'd be very happy if that was the next development they proceed with? A change from the rest of the site and the icing on the cake (in my opinion) for Capital Quarter. Call me an optimist but capital qtr 5, John Street, and the Customhouse tower would be very nice for the area! to slightly extend my wishful thinking and nothing mentioned about this officially to date but I'd love to see Harlech Court flattened (actually there was a proposal about a decade ago) and something pretty tall there - perhaps a residential tower. Then hopefully if we get the new arena down the bay then the motorpoint site would be a great location for another impressive tower! OK last one... instead of Rapports wanting to flatten the madeira - thai house and gwdihw, flatten the rapports building and that, in conjunction with the car park would be yet another site for an impressive development! Although the Rapports building could be allowed to survive (any thoughts on the value of keeping this building?) and then still plenty of room in car park ;)

Nice optimistic thinking there Paul!

Number 5 was sold by JR Smart to the company who will presumably be renting the tower to residents, and is planned for a start in April isn't it?

So not only have their remaining offices been letting well, but they have a bit of cash from the sale of number 5. They sold
the two student housing plots, the number 5 plot plus number 1 and 2 offices. They seem to he doing very well, so market demand allowing it, I'm sure the first phase of John Street will start soon-ish.

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:11 pm

Some activity at the site today, the wooden fence is being taken down around the site.

Owen

PostMon Feb 11, 2019 9:53 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Some activity at the site today, the wooden fence is being taken down around the site.

Surely that's not a good sign? Is it to re-open the pavement?

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 2:19 am

Owen wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:Some activity at the site today, the wooden fence is being taken down around the site.

Certainly not looking like a sign of imminent construction :| Mind you if it's dead in the wood or even delayed for the foreseeable future then it doesn't seem to justify the blocking of the pavement from callaghan square to customhouse st, so I suppose it's no real surprise. Maybe we'll hear something in the media soon about the state of play for this proposed development. But it's not looking good - what a shame, was really looking forward to a genuinely tall tower at that location, 132.5 metres for Cardiff, oh well I feared it was to good to be true! :| Still, we dont know what's going on yet so fingers crossed eh.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Kyle

PostTue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 am

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:
Owen wrote:

Certainly not looking like a sign of imminent construction :| Mind you if it's dead in the wood or even delayed for the foreseeable future then it doesn't seem to justify the blocking of the pavement from callaghan square to customhouse st, so I suppose it's no real surprise. Maybe we'll hear something in the media soon about the state of play for this proposed development. But it's not looking good - what a shame, was really looking forward to a genuinely tall tower at that location, 132.5 metres for Cardiff, oh well I feared it was to good to be true! :| Still, we dont know what's going on yet so fingers crossed eh.

That sounds to me like it's entirely abandoned, or delayed significantly. Maybe they are even going to sell the plot on?

:(

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 1:48 am

I walked past the site again today, no change. The wooden fence has come down around the area of the old path from under the bridge. The fence that directly faces Custom House street remains. It looked like the fence was stacked up on the land.

I think this one is cancelled folks.

AlwaysBeBlue

PostWed Feb 13, 2019 9:45 pm

There has to be a reason. Will they release their reason for not going ahead

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Feb 16, 2019 8:28 am

AlwaysBeBlue wrote:There has to be a reason. Will they release their reason for not going ahead

I think it's more to do with the fact that the student flats bubble has burst. I would not be shocked if all the other big proposed student flat schemes do not go ahead. But I could also be wrong and this may still be going ahead. I'll have a walk past later into town.

Lewisbeecham

PostSat Feb 23, 2019 1:04 pm

The footpath around this plot has been fitted again and the fence is back up with Rio signage. This one is definitely gone.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum