It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am

Cardiff airport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Re: Cardiff airport

PostWed Nov 14, 2018 10:37 am

Flybe are up for sale after severe profit warnings and a massive slump in shares. It's now worth a mere £25m. Hopefully somebody can buy the airline and turn it around.

Harok

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 8:14 pm

So it looks like Flybe is getting rescued. I really hope this doesn’t negatively affect Cardiff airport. I really want to start using it more for trips to Europe!

LocalLurker

PostSun Jan 13, 2019 8:33 pm

Harok wrote:So it looks like Flybe is getting rescued. I really hope this doesn’t negatively affect Cardiff airport. I really want to start using it more for trips to Europe!

I hope Virgin Atlantic carry on for Cardiff, I have a VA credit card so will be handy to use the air miles at my local airport :)

Simon_SW17

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 4:36 pm

LocalLurker wrote:
Harok wrote:So it looks like Flybe is getting rescued. I really hope this doesn’t negatively affect Cardiff airport. I really want to start using it more for trips to Europe!

I hope Virgin Atlantic carry on for Cardiff, I have a VA credit card so will be handy to use the air miles at my local airport :)

It's a joint venture with Stobart Group so not sure it would be called Virgin, would make sense and raise the profile of the airline though. Maybe Virgin Europe, just in time for the rescinding of Article 50 maybe? :D

Ash

PostMon Jan 14, 2019 9:08 pm

You're in luck, LocaLurker!

It will operate under the Virgin Atlantic brand, marking a return by Virgin to domestic flights, following a failed attempt five years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46834827

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 12:32 pm

http://data.parliament.uk/writteneviden ... 91994.html

Ryanair have submitted evidence in support of devoluting Air Passenger Duty to Wales, urging them to either abolish it or reduce the tax to zero.

It's an interesting read, proves that whilst the airport can offer very lucrative discounts to airlines, with little to no previous data it proves almost impossible for CWL to be competitive with the burden of APD.

LocalLurker

PostTue Jan 15, 2019 7:37 pm

Ash wrote:You're in luck, LocaLurker!

It will operate under the Virgin Atlantic brand, marking a return by Virgin to domestic flights, following a failed attempt five years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-46834827

:D

Great news. Part of a wider network underpinned by Delta which could be handy as well :!:

Jonathan

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 6:53 am

I know nothing but given the amount of time and work that Ryanair must have put into submitting this report I think we can read between the lines and assume that if Wales abolished APD we would see a significant Ryanair presence at Cardiff Airport (i.e. a major base).

Lewisbeecham

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 8:41 am

Yep. I think that spells it out nicely.

https://www.parliament.uk/business/comm ... lications/

Above is a link to all the evidence, with submissions from Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and Liverpool airport. Obviously their all against the devoluting citing significant passenger loss and jobs.

Baywatcher

PostWed Jan 16, 2019 8:50 pm

What does devoluting mean - I can find it in no dictionary?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum