It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm

Bar News

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Amoore

Re: Bar News

PostFri Jan 18, 2019 10:41 pm

Cardiff's night time economy has been awarded the Purple Flag

https://businessnewswales.com/cardiff-f ... e-economy/

The Purple Flag accolade has been awarded to Cardiff by the Association of Town and City Management (ATCM) for offering an entertaining, diverse, safe and enjoyable night out.

Purple Flag is the scheme that recognises excellent city centre management at night, similar to the Blue Flag for safe beaches and Green Flag for parks.

An application led by FOR Cardiff and involving partners such as South Wales Police, Cardiff Council, British Transport Police, Cardiff Licensees Forum, Street Pastors and a host of cultural venues and attractions was scored against the five core standards set by Purple Flag. These include being safe and welcoming, accessibility of the area and a diverse choice of leisure and entertainment activities available to all.

Enhancing Cardiff’s safety during the evenings and night time, FOR Cardiff has funded training sessions for club and pub staff on vulnerability awareness, brought in Night Marshals to help people get home safely at various taxi ranks and signed up 102 night-time economy businesses as subscribers to their CityNet Radio system – providing a direct line between clubs and pubs to a Police Officer monitoring the city’s CCTV. Other initiatives such as Club Crew, have helped students in and around Cardiff at night-time and to date have assisted more than 400 students struggling with mental health and wellbeing issues.

Nothing on WalesOnline about it.

jones4891

PostTue Jan 29, 2019 7:38 pm

Public consultation on Feb 5th about the proposed expansion of Clwb Ifor Bach:

https://clwb.net/public-consultation/

Some good news for Cardiff's music scene at last!

Ash

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 10:16 am

jones4891 wrote:Public consultation on Feb 5th about the proposed expansion of Clwb Ifor Bach:

That's great news. Hope it comes off. Clwb has always been a bit hand to mouth financially so its good to see the involvement of the Arts Council.

I'm guessing they're banking on lottery funding to pay for the scheme. I think I'm right in saying that Clwb's ultimate owners Cymdeithas Clwb Cymraeg Caerdydd are either a charity or a friendly society which would make them eligable for lottery funds.

RandomComment

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 11:09 am

jones4891 wrote:Public consultation on Feb 5th about the proposed expansion of Clwb Ifor Bach:

Shame they haven't put any of it online. Is it a consultation that they only want people very very interested in them to be involved in?

Its the sort of thing you'd get complaints about if there was a consultation to demolish a venue or build a block of flats..

Amoore

PostWed Jan 30, 2019 12:26 pm

I'm surprised at the notion of them getting public funds. I understand that Womanby Street as a whole is important to maintain, but Clwb strikes me as the most commercial offering on the street (Spoons aside). Certainly when I've gone there on a weekend night it's been a similar fare to Pulse or TigerTiger.

jones4891

PostMon Feb 04, 2019 11:44 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... k-15774475

The Clwb plans are now online. Hopefully the big black box exterior image is indicative only as it would be a shame to lose the original brickwork and distinctive mural. It looks like Cardiff will finally be getting a roof terrace bar as well.

Amoore

PostTue Feb 05, 2019 2:58 pm

That black rendering looks horrendous - like a breeze blocked 90s arts centre. Hope it's not a true representation of the render.

Not sure a rooftop terrace will get through without a fight due to the noise implications.

elgdav

PostThu May 16, 2019 10:22 pm

Looks like Wow Bar and also the Wow Deli have been evicted.

fieldar

PostFri May 17, 2019 9:00 am

So this is how "false news" originates!

A quick look at the website makes it clear that WOW is under new management and is being refurbished.

Mr Blue Sky

PostFri May 17, 2019 9:29 am

fieldar wrote:So this is how "false news" originates!

A quick look at the website makes it clear that WOW is under new management and is being refurbished.

I looked in on Tuesday and there were bailiff-type notices on the door. I knew that Wow was closed but was surprised that Pulse wasn’t open on Tuesday night. Thank god for the Kings!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum