It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm

Cardiff Cycle Superhighways

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Lewisbeecham

Cardiff Cycle Superhighways

PostWed Apr 11, 2018 11:59 pm

I felt like this deserved its own thread.

Cardiff Council have identified 5 Cycle super highways to connect parts of the city. I'm actually pretty surprised, it's fairly ambitious. Definitely a move in the right direction, although I'm sure it'll be unpopular with some.

https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident ... fault.aspx
Attachments
FB_IMG_1523487399423.jpg
FB_IMG_1523487399423.jpg (151.68 KiB) Viewed 13610 times

jonbvn

Re: Cardiff Cycle Superhighways

PostThu Apr 12, 2018 5:15 am

A good plan that possibly need further development. A bit concerned about Highway 4 to the NW, particularly where it runs along Llantrisant Road (A4119) near the old BBC studios. A lot of traffic already uses this route during peak hours. With the new Plas Dwr development to the NW plus a new cycle superhighway plus the current bus lane is surely not feasible?

Frank

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 10:11 am

Is that Newport Road? Would be interesting to see how that worked.....

The other ones are all minor roads no? The one to Ely could be transformational.

daearegwr

PostTue Apr 17, 2018 11:46 am

I think this is a great idea as part of a wider push to improve public transport links and put less reliance on cars. Congestion is pretty awful in Cardiff now, and will only get worse, so losing road capacity in places will only work if there are other good options available to commuters like trams, light rail etc.

Having separated cycle lanes might actually encourage me to get out on my bike more often!

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Apr 11, 2019 11:34 pm

The first cycle highway has started construction on Senghennydd Road.

Cycle highway 3 is current at consultation stage - https://www.cardiff.gov.uk/ENG/resident ... =Cycleways

The council has been given some WG money and seems to be moving forward pretty quickly with these cycleways. Good.

Link in nicely with the new thread...

oldishDevil

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 12:45 am

I doubt whether some cyclists will even use them.

I used to walk along Lloyd George Avenue quite often, and lost count of the number of cyclists who rode along the pavement, even though there's been a wide cycle lane there for years.

It's a similar situation with Queen Street, where cycling has supposedly been prohibited for at least a decade I believe.

Lewisbeecham

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 6:24 am

As a commuter cyclist, that one on Lloyd George is currently awful. It's easier to cycle on the actual pavement or road itself than use that cycle lane.

All of these cycle highways are fully segregated from the road and pedestrians. Don't think it'll cause a massive change in traveling habits but I think they'll become busy during peak travel periods in the working week.

Simon_SW17

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 11:48 am

Segregation is key, I cycle to work mainly on CS7 in south London and there's barely any stretch where there's even a solid painted line separating the lane. It's constantly used by irritating moped riders which makes the whole thing pointless.

Cyclists need to feel safe to encourage more commuting by bike and this scheme looks very encouraging so far.

DaiB

PostFri Apr 12, 2019 12:55 pm

Absolutely. Human nature means people will generally choose the easiest route. The LGA cycleway was designed I suspect to deliberately slow down cyclists at the junctions using the barriers, the upshot of which is of course that a lot of cyclists will use the uninterrupted, smooth, wide, and generally not overly busy pedestrian lane instead. Not the right thing to do, but understandable really.

Likewise, a cycle path by the side of the road that’s interrupted by parked cars, or full of potholes, or a cycleway that’s properly segregated but very short, is unlikely to attract people to use it.

I get as annoyed as the next person by cyclists using the pavement, but I don’t think they generally do it to annoy pedestrians or be deliberately obstructive. It’s because they prefer it to the alternative.

The advantage with these new lanes is that they should offer a better, easier, more comfortable experience than using either vehicle carriageway or pavement, and over a pretty long distance. I see no reason why cyclists wouldn’t use them over the alternatives.

Ash

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 8:02 am

I'm not a cyclist myself but I don't buy into the 'Lycra lout' hatred. Sure, some cyclists do stupid, annoying things but so do some motorists and, dare I say it, pedestrians.

There are encouraging signs of modal shift in Cardiff with the number of cycling journeys roughly doubling in the last decade. The new cycle paths should help as should the gradual introduction of 20 mph zones across the city.

The main difficulty comes in getting motorists to accept that fit riders, who can easily reach 20-25 mph, will continue to use the roads rather than be held up by slower cyclists in the designated lanes.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum