It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:26 am

Cardiff Cycle Superhighways

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

oldishDevil

Re: Cardiff Cycle Superhighways

PostSat Apr 13, 2019 7:26 pm

I can understand that a lot of cyclists don't always feel safe on Cardiff's roads, but that doesn't excuse some of their behaviour. When I'm on the pavements I have to be as much aware of cyclists as pedestrians. They don't even seem to have a bell these days. They also ride too fast, considering they shouldn't be on pavements anyway.

As a car driver I often have to be alert at night to a lot of cyclists (mainly in the student areas) who have no lights on after dark. When I cycled - quite a few years ago now - the police would quickly have given me a warning if I was riding around without lights.

I'd hope that these new cycleways will be successful, but some cyclists need to be educated in basic etiquette, and the police need to crack down on the basics, like warning people who don't have lights at night time.

Sam

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 11:37 am

If you have crappy cycle infrastructure, you'll have crappy cyclists. Many pavements legally allow cycling because councils haven't bothered to build decent infrastructure.

Also, why prioritise educating cyclists on how to behave? There is a far worse road user amongst us. It is the motorist. Thousands dead/seriously injured every year because of the motorist. Motorists jumping red lights, driving on their phones, driving whilst drunk, speeding. Yes, all road users do crappy things, but no one causes as much carnage as the motorist.

Ash

PostWed Apr 17, 2019 1:32 pm

I only wish more was done to enforce the ban on cycling on Queen Street. I've seen quite nasty accidents there on two seperate occasions. In both cases elderly pedestrians were struck by cyclists. Both resulted in Ambulances being called and, in both cases, the cyclists quickly scarperred.

It strikes me that enforcement is much better in the Hayes where it's looked after by Saint Davids security than it is in Queen Street and High / St Mary Street where it's a council responsibility.

Simon__200

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 5:31 pm

Cycling down the Hayes is permitted though isn't it?

I've seen enforcement happening on Queen Street where people stopped cyclists and fined them, not just to the nutters who speed down there, either. I know *all* cyclists should dismount, but there are definitely worse culprits, and these are the ones that cause real havoc.

Ash

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 6:32 pm

I agree with that. I see nothing wrong with people cycling through Queen Street at a reasonable speed at quiet times. There might even be an arguement for a designated cycle lane through the precinct. The ones who ride at speed though are, as you put it, ''nutters" and dangerous and selfish ones at that.

DavidH71

PostThu Apr 18, 2019 10:09 pm

There are old cyclists and there are bold cyclists, but there are no old bold cyclists. And then there are Deliveroo cyclists, who are in a class of their own for wilful recklessness. Queen Street seems to be a hotspot for them.

penarth bloke

PostFri Apr 19, 2019 10:51 am

A general observation, some cycle lanes are poorly designed, the width of the lane on Fairoak Road is barely the width of a handlebar.

elgdav

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 11:14 am

Ash

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 3:39 pm

Those are pretty radical proposals and likely to stir up a fair bit of opposition.

By closing Station Tce to through traffic and restricting Castle Street to a single lane of traffic in each direction the intention seems to be to prevent any through journeys via the city centre with vehicles only entering the centre to access car parking.

DavidH71

PostThu Apr 25, 2019 10:18 pm

If Station Terrace is closed, all the displaced traffic will have to go via Fitzalan Place and past the prison - those roads will not cope with such an increase. I cannot see what purpose would be served by this closure - unless it is a precursor to some major redevelopment of that whole area (which would be welcome...)
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum