It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:00 pm

I suspect we all knew this was coming...

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

I suspect we all knew this was coming...

PostSun May 12, 2019 10:49 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-m ... e-48152236

To be honest, I'm torn between the people who've been ripped off and the fact the building has been saved.

Kyle

Re: I suspect we all knew this was coming...

PostMon May 13, 2019 10:57 am

Ash wrote:https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-48152236

To be honest, I'm torn between the people who've been ripped off and the fact the building has been saved.

It's hard not to fall on the side of the building being saved, I know I do, when you don't know the individuals or organisations involved in the investments. I do have sympathy though, but it did come across as being very dodgy at the time.

Personally I think it should have been government money, it's a pretty iconic building for Cardiff and Wales. I don't know how well it's doing occupancy wise. I stayed in October and it seemed to be relatively busy.

lucky

PostTue May 14, 2019 8:56 am

Is the building safe? There's still a lot of work outstanding, especially at the back which was always the most precarious bit - don't just look at the nicely turned out frontage. Unless it's successfully sold on, if he goes bankrupt it could fall back into disrepair while all the creditors line up (with Cardiff Council right at the back, as I understand it). Thanks to the way it's been sold room-by-room to investors, there are dozens, possibly into 3 figures, of people who have a claim. I'd like to know what the Council is doing to plan for a potential bankruptcy scenario, given they trusted him in the first place. But on the bright side I think there's a much higher public appreciation of the building than before.

Frank

PostThu May 16, 2019 10:04 pm

Bad news if the restoration stops. What about giving up on part of the building and letting it be demolished? The front of the building which is the jewel in the crown needn't be affected.

cardiffian

PostFri May 17, 2019 5:41 pm

I love how there are four posts without a single mention of what you are talking about :D

LocalLurker

PostFri May 17, 2019 8:31 pm

I think this is a dangerous topic to be talking about, especially the speculation considering the business is running as a going concern counter to the impression that some of the above posts are giving. Some of the leaps being made are frankly absurd at the moment.

lucky

PostSat May 18, 2019 10:07 am

The topic is clear if you can be bothered to click on the link in the first post. And I hope that Paul is flattered by the last poster's assessment of the power of this forum to influence international investors! I'd be happy if it occasionally nudged a local councillor or two :-)

cardiffian

PostSat May 18, 2019 12:37 pm

lucky wrote:The topic is clear if you can be bothered to click on the link in the first post.

ha you have to click a link then scroll down to the bottom of the article to find out what its all about..... :lol:

dazplott

PostSun May 19, 2019 11:13 am

Seems that, in addition to the alleged financial issues, they may also have serious operation problems:

“Hotel company Signature Living to face trial over raft of food hygiene charges” - https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/li ... gn=shareba

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum