It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:26 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

DavidH71

Re: General Developments

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 10:31 pm

Both designs have their merits - but I think the original proposal would be much better suited to a site in the bay somewhere (we've got plenty of room for it in the ISV...). The revised proposal sits well alongside the Charles Street tower and I rather like the red cladding, which makes a change from the usual white or grey.

Simon_SW17

PostTue Jul 02, 2019 11:40 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Previous - https://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/ ... r-14902119

Massive difference in quality.

That design is awful and wouldn't suit the location at all. It would be a carbuncle of the future and would dominate the area.

Rhodri

PostWed Jul 03, 2019 8:32 am

I like the new design, it’s appropriate to the area. The original image gave the impression the lane between Exchange and it was a two lane highway. It would overbear the area and it would lose some of its visual impact.

The old design would look great at John St or the to-be-developed patch of land south of Callaghan Square.

DJKiran

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 1:41 am

Why are they still adamant on building multiple student accommodation buildings when stuff like this happens?? https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/loca ... k-16541083

DavidH71

PostWed Jul 10, 2019 10:02 pm

I'm fairly sure that these blocks will be full after a year or two - sometimes they are completed just a little too late for the start of the academic year.

It's all very different from when I was at uni in the early nineties. I spent the first year in a hall of residence, and the rooms didn't even have plaster on the walls - just bare concrete blocks. And the state of the communal bathrooms doesn't bear thinking about...

Simon__200

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 9:37 am

DavidH71 wrote:I'm fairly sure that these blocks will be full after a year or two - sometimes they are completed just a little too late for the start of the academic year.

It's all very different from when I was at uni in the early nineties. I spent the first year in a hall of residence, and the rooms didn't even have plaster on the walls - just bare concrete blocks. And the state of the communal bathrooms doesn't bear thinking about...

I don't think many domestic students end up in this type of luxury (by comparison) accommodation to be fair. Renting a crammed converted terraced house in Cathays or Adamsdown still seems to be the norm.

RandomComment

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 5:07 pm

I don't know if anyone had noticed that the Burger and Lobster unit upstairs on the Hayes (above Miller and Carter) has been converted to office use:

https://www.business-live.co.uk/enterprise/global-online-brand-protection-software-16569522

Seems like a really good outcome for the space - which I think was hard to let as a restaurant given its lack of street presence. And looks like smashingly designed offices!

Cardiff

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 6:10 pm

Southgate house getting a pressure wash

ImageSpectator Sport by vivien, on Flickr

Rhodri

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 6:17 pm

Nice offices above Miller & Carter and nice to see pressure washing at Southgate Hse.

Any news on bus station? Also apparently plans for the tall next to HMRC have been seen but not shared. Anyone in the know?

Ash

PostThu Jul 11, 2019 7:41 pm

Cardiff wrote:Southgate house getting a pressure wash

Good to see this. I've always liked it as a building but it had got to look very grubby - especially next to its new flashy neighbours.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum