It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:37 pm

Metro

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Neil

Re: Metro

PostThu Jul 04, 2019 3:19 pm

I like the fact the central line is being made into a circle line linking Coryton to Radyr and they are making use of the docks line through Splott and Tremorfa to link up with the Bay line. At least by showing the intention it means that existing heavy rail infrastructure can be earmarked for use by the Metro at a later date.

LocalLurker

PostThu Jul 04, 2019 6:12 pm

More information from WO (They have made their website even harder to negotiate by having stories linked to business-live as well)

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... s-16529975

Cwlcymro

PostThu Jul 04, 2019 7:35 pm

It all looks great, but it's full of quotes such as "We need to have serious discussions as a community about funding". So nice plan. but no funding in place .

I assume that since they are banding around the price of £1bn, this is Cardiff Council trying to lay claim to all the M4 money?

Msmurf

PostFri Jul 05, 2019 7:35 am

While I applaud the vision and the presentation, i am going to pour some cold water onto things.....
Most of the rail network and stations are already either in place or already announced as part of Metro, so just looking at what is new:
1. The Circle line is not really a circle. The extension to Felindre hospital and J33 is a good improvement. But this will not close the loop to Radyr but instead joins the main line to Taffs Well where it changes direction back to Radyr. This would put a big strain on line capacity through Morganstown.
2. Diverting the Circle onto the street south of Cardiff Central through Herbert Street and back to Queen Street is a good move but frequency would be limited by capacity through Queen Street station.
2. The Cross rail line through Plasdwr is essential and should be prioritised. And taking the line onto street through Callaghan Square before turning down to Cardiff Bay/Flourish/Plas Roald Dahl (or whatever it is called next week) is also a good thing. But the onward expansion back towards Rover Way/ Newport Road doesnt seem to be a prority
3. One new station stands out for me which is Roath Park (for UHW). Long overdue but how many trains will use it? Good for Circle line but how many Rhymney line trains will stop there?
4. BRT service looks good and fully integrated with metro - will it be baged as Metro or Cardiff Bus???
5. Cycle lanes are good but will do little for overall network capacity.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

NorthCityBoy

PostFri Jul 19, 2019 10:44 pm

Scaffolding has gone up on the old ticket office building at Llandaf station. It’s been on the market for several years and seems to be in pretty poor condition. Does anyone know what’s happening to it?

Kyle

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 1:10 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-49061910
https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/trains-cardiff-central-swansea-parkway-16623426

It will interesting to see when this will now move forward, and if it means there''ll be any change in design for the Interchange as well.

JP-22

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 1:49 pm

Revamp of the station seems to have funding!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-49061910

Msmurf

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 2:42 pm

So Chris Grayling promises £58 million for Cardiff Central plus West Wales Parkway...but WWP to cost £20 million....
So only £38 million for CC....that wont buy very much!

Kyle

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 3:28 pm

The BBC article isn't as clear as the Walesonline one

It's over 50million for Cardiff, plus I think money has already been pledged by the Welsh Government and the City Region deal.

At least I think, correct me if I'm wrong please.

Msmurf

PostMon Jul 22, 2019 4:16 pm

Kyle wrote:The BBC article isn't as clear as the Walesonline one

It's over 50million for Cardiff, plus I think money has already been pledged by the Welsh Government and the City Region deal.

At least I think, correct me if I'm wrong please.

I hope you are right....could do with some clarity...
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum