It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:51 am

Westgate Hotel

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

MattW

Re: Westgate Hotel

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 10:59 am

Well done for doing that as I was thinking the same thing and now having seen it in white, think I actually prefer that black finish - adds a bit of variety/interest.

Have to say though I think the overall design could have been a bit more interesting.

sebcity

PostFri Aug 16, 2019 12:11 pm

The reason the middle (black) block is in the colour it’s in is because it’s taller than the forward Westgate. It’s trying to encourage you to draw your eye towards the Westgate hotel. I agree the add on boxes are a bit bland a bit ‘beige’ but it’s often a techniques architects use to draw more attention to the original more inctricate Westgate building.

Personally I do think it will compliment well, but the quality of materials will be as much of a bearing as anything else. I was particularly worried about the bland beige box that is the new eateries on church street. That has, to my surprise, actually turned out to look quite nice.

Peiriannydd

PostTue Aug 20, 2019 10:25 pm

I don’t think it’s a terrible scheme. Some more height and massing to Westgate street would be a good thing. But I find it hard that anyone (even an Architect) would believe the bullsh*t they are writing in that DAS!
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum