It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:05 am

Military Medicine Museum

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cwlcymro

Re: Military Medicine Museum

PostMon Aug 19, 2019 12:24 pm

There is now a pre-development consultation on this from the developers at mmmuseum.wixsite.com/public-consultation with some frankly optimistic illustrations. The design is "award nominated" - it looks like a series of brown sheds abutted by a glass box (the shed bit doesn't feature in most of the illustrations).

What would make you worried that the actual building will not look anything like the design? Do you think the developers would save money by cutting costs and create an ugly building instead? WHat could possibly give you that idea...except for the fact that they've gone for the £4.50 p/m Wix website with a big Wix banner (literally called 'Most Basic') instead of paying the extra £4 for the proper, no ads plan isn't the most promising start! :lol:

BluePigeon

PostWed Aug 21, 2019 10:21 am

lucky wrote:There is now a pre-development consultation on this from the developers at mmmuseum.wixsite.com/public-consultation with some frankly optimistic illustrations. The design is "award nominated" - it looks like a series of brown sheds abutted by a glass box (the shed bit doesn't feature in most of the illustrations).

For those earlier wondering "why Cardiff?", there's a line on the actual museum website that gives the game away. “The site in Cardiff was chosen after earlier approaches to other cities around the United Kingdom came to nought.” In other words, nobody else wants it. The museum is currently housed by the MoD in Aldershot, and even they don't want it - it's costing them money.

Given that the relatively popular Doctor Who Exhibition on a site next door had to close once its Council subsidy ended, I can't see how this enterprise will stay open without substantial ongoing subsidy from the city or the Welsh Government. It's eating up public open land for an unprepossessing building that will likely be closed within 3-5 years, when there is already a massive white (well, blue) elephant next door in the closed Doctor Who Exhibition site.

You're completely wrong in all aspects. Just running your opinion as fact.

Can't even compare the Dr Who experience to a military museum which holds, amongst other things, a large quantity of some of the most prestigious VCs and other medals ever awarded. This alone draws in large amounts of war memorabilia enthusiasts and school trips.

Dr Who experiwnce was not popular. It was ridiculously expensive. It was never a place you'd visit twice...or once for that matter. Unless you were a die hard fan, people weren't curious enough to part with their cash to go inside an unknown attraction.
It closed because the lease ended, the council made a huge loss from it, and the lease was not renewed.

The barracks which housed the MMM was closing down. The AMS training moved to Birmingham. The museum wanted to find a new home. It was not very accessible to general public, limited space, no room to expand and become self sufficient,.. it basically outgrew the building. We should be proud that such a museum has chosen Cardiff and what it can potentially offer. The history it brings with it. It's a shame your negativity is how it is. Something I'd expect from the WOL comments section.

Ash

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 9:47 am

I agree with your positivity about the Military Medicine Museum.

I do think you're being a bit harsh on the Doctor Who Experience though. I'm no die-hard fan but I visited a couple of times. It was busy and I enjoyed it.

The second time I visited was with a family from Sydney who had included Cardiff in their European itinerary because of the exhibition. The £1.1m it cost the council is hardly a "huge loss" compared to the contibution made to the city's economy over a period of five years.

Simon__200

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 10:30 am

We already had a thread where we discussed The Doctro Who Experiencce. Blue Pidgeon, you're not correct. It didn't close down because the lease wasn't renewed by the council. That was in all likelihood a bit of spin by BBC Wordlwide. The land and building remain empty now. It's completely unfeasible that, if requested, the council would not have extended the lease in order to recoup some of its losses. Especially when you consider that those losses can be offset against the value brought in by tourism and putting Cardiff in the map. BBC Wordwide had a rent free agreement, in return for a profit share deal with the council who were sub-leased the area.

No. The attraction was likely discontinued by BBC worldwide because the amount if investment required to keep it fresh was not proportionate to its popularity. Visitors were always fewer when the TV show was off the air, and when the show aired in Autumn rather than Spring. The show was facing another gap in airing, and then coming back to TV in the dreaded Autumn again instead of Spring. What's more the Tardis set being used for the main attraction would now be two versions out of date, and the a new sequence would have to be shot with another new doctor. So, they likely knocked it on the head.

Sure, it was hardly Disneyland, but In its time, it undoubtably brought in a great many visitors. It just about held its own (for BBC Worldwide, if not the council) when the series was off-air, but wasn't worth the punt to invest in heavily for the show's next era, basically.

BluePigeon

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 11:04 am

Firstly your claims of what I said are wrong. I did not say the lease was not renewed by the council. How about you actually read what I said.

The attraction was not as popular as they'd hoped - true
Lease expired - true
Council made a loss - true

I am merely regurgitating what I've read. If you argue what I've said is not true, rather than express your personal thoughts on the matter how about you show me some evidence. Funny how you fiercely object to what I've said, yet follow it with 'likely, likelihood'... in other words, you don't know yourself.

BBC worldwide and Cardiff Council could have negotiated an extension but one or both parties chose not to.

lucky

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 1:52 pm

It is not opinion but a fact that the publicly available accounts for the Museum show it would have had a deficit of around £125k for 2017-18 without MoD support - and that is while it wasn't paying any utilities or business rates, which it would be expected to in the Bay. It will not be further subsidised by the MoD after the relocation.
It's also a fact, despite the claim that the Museum "chose Cardiff" that it did so only after several other UK cities had turned it down, which any sensible administration would do after seeing those figures.
So yes, let's stick to facts.

Simon__200

PostThu Aug 22, 2019 4:24 pm

BluePigeon wrote:BBC worldwide and Cardiff Council could have negotiated an extension but one or both parties chose not to.

No. BBC Worldwide chose not to.
And in the periods when the show was on air, it did in fact bring in a healthy amount of visitors. To understand the issues, you have to understand the production problems and gap years faced by the show. When the attraction was envisaged, the show aired annually in the Spring. By the time they had the attraction opened, it was lucky to be airing every 18 months and it often ended up in the Autumn.

BluePigeon

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 10:06 am

Simon__200 wrote:
BluePigeon wrote:BBC worldwide and Cardiff Council could have negotiated an extension but one or both parties chose not to.

No. BBC Worldwide chose not to.
And in the periods when the show was on air, it did in fact bring in a healthy amount of visitors. To understand the issues, you have to understand the production problems and gap years faced by the show. When the attraction was envisaged, the show aired annually in the Spring. By the time they had the attraction opened, it was lucky to be airing every 18 months and it often ended up in the Autumn.

Oh my word.. do you ever read before posting?!

"But one of both parties chose not to" ..! I think that covers the BBC choosing not to.

BluePigeon

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 10:18 am

lucky wrote:It is not opinion but a fact that the publicly available accounts for the Museum show it would have had a deficit of around £125k for 2017-18 without MoD support - and that is while it wasn't paying any utilities or business rates, which it would be expected to in the Bay. It will not be further subsidised by the MoD after the relocation.
It's also a fact, despite the claim that the Museum "chose Cardiff" that it did so only after several other UK cities had turned it down, which any sensible administration would do after seeing those figures.
So yes, let's stick to facts.

Again, did you even bother reading what I said?

Did you even visit the museum at Keogh Barracks to get an understanding as to why they are wanting a fresh start?

How can a free museum with no shop and no room for expansion make a profit?

Why do you think they are wanting to move?

BluePigeon

PostTue Aug 27, 2019 10:48 am

"In other words, nobody else wants it. The museum is currently housed by the MoD in Aldershot, and even they don't want it."

That is your opinion. Not fact.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum