It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

Celestia - fire hazard

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

RandomComment

Celestia - fire hazard

PostFri Aug 30, 2019 2:31 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/people-living-cardiff-bay-complex-16836161

I remember a discussion on the old board complaining about the final build quality of Celestia - the cheap-looking render finish, the terrible interaction with the dockside and the flooding/moss, etc.

Seems there is also a problem with fire risk - although it will probably have more of an impact on people's ability to sell and remortgage than anything else.

The major house builders got away with some shoddy stuff in the boomtimes it seems. And they seem to have been doing it again with the number of reports about excess snags, unfinished public realms and the miss-selling and overuse of leaseholds. I think there is a case for using some of the demand-side money given to Help to Buy to provide supply-side support to smaller builders so we have more of a competitive market, which should drive up quality.

Ash

Re: Celestia - fire hazard

PostSat Aug 31, 2019 9:39 pm

It's hard to disagree with that last point. Small developers are only responsible for around 10% of new builds these days wheras just a few decades ago the figure was closer to 40%.

The cartel that effectively dominates the market have been guilty of shocking and venal behaviour in recent years. Unsafe materials... shoddy builds... limiting supply... land banking... excesive salaries and bonuses... The list goes on and on.

lucky

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 10:08 am

I remember when I was looking to buy, I was warned repeatedly not to buy anything on that side of the Inner Bay that had been built after Adventurers Quay.

Mr Blue Sky

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 12:55 pm

lucky wrote:I remember when I was looking to buy, I was warned repeatedly not to buy anything on that side of the Inner Bay that had been built after Adventurers Quay.

Seems like you were lucky. And remain so.

Frank

PostWed Sep 04, 2019 7:42 pm

So the big question is - why is nothing being done?

Mr Blue Sky

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 1:00 pm

In the article it says that internal fire-stopping measures were compromised in the construction process and that, as a result, communal heating systems have been disabled. Presumably the communal heating system ducted warm air throughout the building. This must have been identified as a way in which smoke and fire could spread.

I'd imagine that blocking/removing these ducts will be extremely disruptive and expensive. The leaseholders must be very worried. Only two solutions are probable - either demolition or all tenants leaving the building until the lengthy repairs are completed.

I'd also imagine that a class-action lawsuit against the architect/developer/constructor is being planned.

Msmurf

PostThu Sep 05, 2019 7:59 pm

Why no fire dampers?
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Mr Blue Sky

PostFri Sep 06, 2019 2:00 pm

Looks like I was wrong. The situation is far worse than I'd imagined.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... k-16870205

Ash

PostWed Oct 16, 2019 10:21 pm

Jesus. What a nightmare. Redrow et al should hang their heads in shame.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50058300

Msmurf

PostThu Oct 17, 2019 10:03 am

I almost bought a flat there last year....

Interesting comment about expanding foam used to block voids. This is banned as a firestop because it gives off cyanide fumes in a fire......
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum