It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:50 am

Military Medicine Museum

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

BluePigeon

Re: Military Medicine Museum

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 11:27 am

lucky wrote:It is not opinion but a fact that the publicly available accounts for the Museum show it would have had a deficit of around £125k for 2017-18 without MoD support - and that is while it wasn't paying any utilities or business rates, which it would be expected to in the Bay. It will not be further subsidised by the MoD after the relocation.
It's also a fact, despite the claim that the Museum "chose Cardiff" that it did so only after several other UK cities had turned it down, which any sensible administration would do after seeing those figures.
So yes, let's stick to facts.

Furthermore,..

Why don't you show the full accounts before displaying one figure from one year. Are you on the board of trustees? Do you know why the defeceit occurred? Any idea how much it costs for architects, planning etc to move an entire museum? The accounts looks pretty healthy to me...certainly healthier than the Dr Who exhibit you compared it to.

What about the fact that it's also a charity? How much in terms of business rates do you think they'll pay?!

jones4891

PostWed Aug 28, 2019 3:11 pm

Calm down mate.

durhamcowboy

PostWed Sep 25, 2019 8:30 pm

Glenn

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 8:48 pm

After the all the controversy and protest over Dolffin Quay taking away that green space and all the bad press that came with it, seems odd they're trying again to build on this site. A mixture of lack of local support from residents and, from what I've seen, lack of local interest in the museum itself, I can't see this going down too well.

They seem to be relying on the defence that Cardiff Bay "tube" used to be there, but this building is about twice the height and twice the length. It housed something residents had a connection to and were interested in and understood it to be temporary. It's height compared to this also didn't impact sight lines of the Norwegian Church which also looks towered over.

I've never really understood why it needs to be in the Bay in the first place. It seems like a niche sort of museum with no real strong ties to the bay. Why not near UHW where medical students and hospital visitors may actually be interested in it. Or the CRI with it's historical ties to medicine in an area in need of investment and a 5 min walk from town.

DavidH71

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 10:30 pm

I believe they deliberately want a high profile site, in order to avoid being only visited by medical students. They have ambitious plans to use the building as a way of allowing the public to interact with science in a range of ways. The current museum is hidden behind an old barracks near Aldershot (you have to obtain a security pass just to get near it) - they don't want to replicate that.

Thewasp

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 7:10 am

The old doctor who site would be perfect then. Ridiculous building it on the park and lock keepers buildings.

RandomComment

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 7:43 pm

Wasn't part of the issue with Dolffin Quay that it involved multiple buildings and the main development was so large that it would dominate the area and overshadow the remaining park?

This is much smaller and shorter overall, and should be less overbearing.

The former Doctor Who site is owned by the Welsh Govt; this is owned by ABP. Perhaps ABP were willing to accept a lower price? Or perhaps the museum thought this was actually a better site - that bit closer to car parking, Mermaid Quay, etc.

Some people seem determined to whinge about this project. It's frankly quite depressing.

lucky

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 10:11 pm

The park was bought by the Council from ABP, so they own both spaces now and could as easily site it on the Who spot. Though I'd rather they didn't as my council tax would be subsidising it within a year or two of opening. There's a reason other cities have turned the offer down.

Ash

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 10:47 pm

Thewasp wrote:The old doctor who site would be perfect then. Ridiculous building it on the park and lock keepers buildings.

As I read the plans it's not on the park, it's mainly on the stoney area where the 'Tube' visitor centre use to be. The lock-keeper's building has been moved once before so it can be moved again and if it means the deeply unpleasant guy who ran a cafe there is no longer around it would be a huge plus!

Msmurf

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 4:51 am

This is too much of a niche museum to be viable. It really should be attached to something else - Cardiff Castle or St Fagans - or in Brecon.

But as a stand-alone it will fail.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum