It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:18 am

Cardiff Arts and Science Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

LRcardiff

Cardiff Arts and Science Centre

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 5:15 pm

I've been a long time follower of this forum but this is my first post.

I was looking at the new plans for the Museum of Military Medicine on the old Dolffin Quay site in the Bay which took me to the website of Scott Brown Rigg where I also saw quite detailed plans for the "Cardiff Arts and Science Centre", I couldn't find out anything else about in on the internet but quite a lot of effort has gone into drawings.

It would be a quite dominating copper structure in the old Mount Stuart graving docks behind techniquest.

Was wondering if anyone else knew anything about the plans?

https://www.scottbrownrigg.com/work/projects/cardiff-arts-and-science-centre/

Cardiff

Re: Cardiff Arts and Science Centre

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 6:05 pm

Really dont like how overbearing this is, also looks lie it would have occupied a lot of Techniquest site so very unlikely to ever see the light of day

Thewasp

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 9:33 pm

Amazing building almost like a V&A or Tate museum which would be amazing for the city.

Lyndon

PostThu Sep 26, 2019 10:07 pm

Seems to be, at least in part, a replacement for Techniquest. Since they're getting a new extension pretty imminently this is clearly not going to happen.

MattW

PostFri Sep 27, 2019 3:00 pm

Welcome to the forum.

My gosh, that is quite a lump! Interesting design but scale is far too big in my opinion.

Glenn

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 8:16 pm

Very odd. Even as a concept. Way out of scale for it's surroundings. Would render the apartments people bought with views of the Bay on Havannah Street worthless and casts much of Landsea Gardens into shadow. As I design I quite like it, the red/orange ties in nicely with the Pierhead and WMC but not for this location.

DavidH71

PostMon Sep 30, 2019 10:20 pm

Utterly wrong for that location, and the space beneath it would be dark and dingy all year round. But it might work on the site formerly occupied by the Dr Who exhibition. I've heard there used to be a museum in the bay, but it was demolished to make way for Mermaid Quay and the exhibits are all locked away in a warehouse in the valleys.

Kyle

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 5:06 am

Yes, there was a maritime museum.

I always thought things went to the national one in Swansea? Didn't know things were kept in storage?

lucky

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 10:05 pm

It looks like somebody crapped a damaged 1950s sideboard onto the landscape. I think this proposal was part of a previous "masterplan" for the Bay which involved losing Techniquest, demolishing all the council housing in favour of a grand sweep from Mount Stuart Square down to the docks, building another huge block of flats on the car park in Havannah Street and several other suggestions likely to go down like a lead balloon locally. Let us hope it rests in peace.

Ash

PostTue Oct 01, 2019 10:56 pm

DavidH71 wrote:Utterly wrong for that location, and the space beneath it would be dark and dingy all year round. But it might work on the site formerly occupied by the Dr Who exhibition. I've heard there used to be a museum in the bay, but it was demolished to make way for Mermaid Quay and the exhibits are all locked away in a warehouse in the valleys.

It was the Welsh Industrial and Maritime Museum which was replaced by the Waterside Museum in Swansea. The National Museum has a huge warehouse in Treforest where the reserve collections are held but most of what could be seen at WIMM is currently on display in Swansea.

The WIMM was an okay museum but it wasn't great.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum