It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 am

Military Medicine Museum

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

JP-22

Re: Military Medicine Museum

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 8:30 am

I think it depends on the concept and how it is run. If they have a good children's area, and they have space for temporal exhibitions, it could do ok. It is a nice building, and I am sure they can attract people, it would depend how they complement the military medicine exhibition.

sebcity

PostWed Oct 02, 2019 9:54 am

I think the merits / why’s and how’s have been done to death for this building. At the end of the day, as long as it’s not having a direct cost impact for Cardiff Council to have, I don’t see why it shouldn’t exist?

It’s a beautiful building, with a yes admittedly niche topic - but I’m sure the space will be opened up for multiple uses and exhibitions and provide more of the type of architecture that Cardiff really ought to be aspiring toward.

So yes, I’m for it - certainly from an architectural perspective if nothing else.

Cwlcymro

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 12:53 pm

A £30m military medicine museum planned for Cardiff Bay hopes to become the first in the UK to offer a super-high definition 8K immersive video space.

The technology, called Deep Space, will offer 2D and 3D visuals, exploring science, medicine, art and history.

The project would see the Museum of Military Medicine (MMM) move from Keogh Barracks to Cardiff Bay in 2022.

Alongside exhibitions and "immersive" visitor experiences, the visual room could also be used to train doctors.

The new four-storey building would be built in Harbour Way, near the Norwegian Church. It is on the site of an old visitor centre, known as "the Tube"....

...It would be only the second time the Deep Space technology has ever been used - it was pioneered by the Museum of the Future in the city of Linz, Austria.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-50249739

jones4891

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 7:02 pm

That actually sounds promising. Maybe this museum is worth having after all! Certainly if it can offer something unique in the UK, it'll be more likely to attract visitors and become a success.

AWarmerBeer

PostWed Jun 03, 2020 9:18 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... n-18355340

Looks like this is in the news again. Now proposed for the Dolffin Quay Tower site across from the Norwegian Church!

Msmurf

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 11:05 am

Seems an odd choice for Cardiff. No obvious linkage...
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Simon__200

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 1:34 pm

Msmurf wrote:Seems an odd choice for Cardiff. No obvious linkage...

An even odder place to build it. The only nice bit of popular green space for miles, while meanwhile there are acres of undeveloped wasteland space just sat there unoccupied.

Cardiff

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 3:00 pm

As a local resident and development enthusiast i have mixed feelings about this, on the one hand it would be a great development in a reasonably good location, however there is so little green space locally that this area is an essential amenity especially when there is so much vacant land nearby. My main concerns is that it will place the park into shadow most of the afternoon, change it from being a park into and entrance area between the pub and museum, put pressure on the limited parking along Harbour Drive. I feel it would be much better where the old Doctor Who was, waterfront views allowing for a successful cafe/bar that would have the sun all evening (unlike Mermaid Quay), could tie in World Of Boats and greatly improve the walk over towards the barrage, have plenty of space for parking nearby if the land was developed (maybe a multi storey car park), be a catalyst to further development in Porth Tiger.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 3:15 pm

Cardiff wrote:As a local resident and development enthusiast i have mixed feelings about this, on the one hand it would be a great development in a reasonably good location, however there is so little green space locally that this area is an essential amenity especially when there is so much vacant land nearby. My main concerns is that it will place the park into shadow most of the afternoon, change it from being a park into and entrance area between the pub and museum, put pressure on the limited parking along Harbour Drive. I feel it would be much better where the old Doctor Who was, waterfront views allowing for a successful cafe/bar that would have the sun all evening (unlike Mermaid Quay), could tie in World Of Boats and greatly improve the walk over towards the barrage, have plenty of space for parking nearby if the land was developed (maybe a multi storey car park), be a catalyst to further development in Porth Tiger.

That would be a fantastic location for this development - agree with all your points and with it now presumably being available, it's custom made for this, as they say 'a no brainer'! so there's no way it will get built there!! :lol:
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Cwlcymro

PostThu Jun 04, 2020 11:54 pm

There's opposition building to this application. A very detailed 33 page objection has been filed [url="see here"]https://diwylliantblog.files.wordpress.com/2020/05/britannia-park-objections.pdf[/url] and a petition has sprung up today and gathered about a 1000 signatures.

Objections seem to range from totally wrong location, no link to the local area, unsustainable business model.

I have to say, the business model looks dodgy as hell. They're currently losing about a quarter million pounds a year, which is why they want to move. A lot of other cities rejected them (according to their own Facebook post). They're predicting visitor numbers of 225k visitors a year. To put that in context, that's 55k more than Techniquest gets even though every school in South Wales bus their children over there. Even the US Miltary Medicine Museum only got about 500k a year when they were based on the national mall in Washington. Now that the US version is in a less desirable locaton, visitor numbers are around 50k a year.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum