It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:31 am

City Centre moving

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

AlwaysBeBlue

City Centre moving

PostTue Oct 08, 2019 5:58 pm

Is it just me or are Cardiff Council planners trying to slowly move the City Centre towards the Bay area.

Nothing happens east Cardiff and Queen Street is not what it was. This together with the Bay and the old Brains site, looks like the City Centre moving towards Grangetown, Butetown.

Plus the Bay near the old Toys are Us is almost in Penarth and talking of Penarth, is there any City in the world where half hour walk from the City Centre and you are not in Cardiff anymore.

Also, why is there not much housing development on the West side of Cardiff, despite lots of open spaces compared to East and North Cardiff

NorthCityBoy

Re: City Centre moving

PostTue Oct 08, 2019 6:24 pm

I can think of literally hundreds of cities where you can walk half an hour from the city centre and not be in Cardiff :lol:

AlwaysBeBlue

PostTue Oct 08, 2019 8:07 pm

NorthCityBoy wrote:I can think of literally hundreds of cities where you can walk half an hour from the city centre and not be in Cardiff :lol:

True very true :lol:

Thewasp

PostTue Oct 08, 2019 8:21 pm

It may just be that they are investing in those areas... there are plans to redevelop Churchill Way and then there is the CIA which may make way which I turn could have an impact on Queen street. It does need a bit of love though as it seems like a scene from Syria you see on the news sometimes sadly.

Ash

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 9:16 am

AlwaysBeBlue wrote: Also, why is there not much housing development on the West side of Cardiff, despite lots of open spaces compared to East and North Cardiff

It depends how you define East and West, I suppose. There's certainly far more housing going up in the western half of the city than the eastern one, if you take the Taff as the boundary between the two halves.

I'm not sure where the 'lots of open spaces' you refer to in the West of the city actually are. The south west is hemmed in by the river Ely and Leckwith ridge and the north-west is precisely where Plasdwr is appearing before our eyes. Where did you have in mind?
Last edited by Ash on Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Simon__200

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 12:08 pm

AlwaysBeBlue wrote:Also, why is there not much housing development on the West side of Cardiff, despite lots of open spaces compared to East and North Cardiff

Surely the opposite?

RandomComment

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 1:39 pm

Thewasp wrote:It may just be that they are investing in those areas... there are plans to redevelop Churchill Way and then there is the CIA which may make way which I turn could have an impact on Queen street. It does need a bit of love though as it seems like a scene from Syria you see on the news sometimes sadly.

There are a few empty units and a couple of empty plots on the eastern side of the city - but that comparison is just in poor taste, especially given what could be just about to happen in Syria.

More generally, I think the city council is doing two things:
1. It does want to improve the links between the centre and the bay. Lloyd George Avenue has never quite worked in doing that. Hence metro plans for changing the rail link to the bay, etc.
2. More fundamentally, it wants to support the development of new commercial space and residential space, to attract new jobs and businesses, and to help house more people. There is more scope for that on the South Western side of the city centre, given the low-value industrial space around the top of Penarth Road and Dumballs Road. There isn't the same scope on the eastern side, where it has often proved more cost effective to convert older space into new residential (often student) space rather than proper Grade A office space. Maybe that will change going fowards with the changes to rules on student resi though.

How quickly any of the major developments will happen though is going to be affected by what happens in the next month far away from Cardiff.

AlwaysBeBlue

PostWed Oct 09, 2019 8:15 pm

From the City Centre towards Rumney, Llanrumney, Trowbridge and St Mellons is around 4/5miles from the City Centre and highly populated with big housing developments on going, particularly St Edyrn if I have the name right..

From the City Centre towards Ely and below towards Penarth, there is a lot of greenery, which is near the City Centre compared to Rumney and the the neighbouring suburbs, but no houses being built on this land, unless i am mistaken ?

Ash

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 9:15 am

AlwaysBeBlue wrote:From the City Centre towards Rumney, Llanrumney, Trowbridge and St Mellons is around 4/5miles from the City Centre and highly populated with big housing developments on going, particularly St Edyrn if I have the name right..

From the City Centre towards Ely and below towards Penarth, there is a lot of greenery, which is near the City Centre compared to Rumney and the the neighbouring suburbs, but no houses being built on this land, unless i am mistaken ?

St Edeyrn is a big development but it's pretty small compared to Plasdwr. There will be just over 1,000 homes in the former and circa 6,000 in the latter.

I'm still struggling to figure out where the sites you're referring to in western Cardiff actually are. The road from the city centre towards Ely is Cowbridge Road and the only greenery along there is Victoria Park. There are vacant sites around the ISV but those are brownfield not greenfield sites.

Are you talking about land further out, west of Culverhouse and around Wenvoe, for instance?

Kyle

PostThu Oct 10, 2019 4:14 pm

Ash wrote:
AlwaysBeBlue wrote:From the City Centre towards Rumney, Llanrumney, Trowbridge and St Mellons is around 4/5miles from the City Centre and highly populated with big housing developments on going, particularly St Edyrn if I have the name right..

St Edeyrn is a big development but it's pretty small compared to Plasdwr. There will be just over 1,000 homes in the former and circa 6,000 in the latter.

I'm still struggling to figure out where the sites you're referring to in western Cardiff actually are. The road from the city centre towards Ely is Cowbridge Road and the only greenery along there is Victoria Park. There are vacant sites around the ISV but those are brownfield not greenfield sites.

Are you talking about land further out, west of Culverhouse and around Wenvoe, for instance?

I was wondering the same. In the West there's loads of houses going up, just in the north. Anything else further south isn't actually in Cardiff to my knowledge, such as the areas you mention Ash.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum