It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

Guildford Terrace

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Pembsboy1

Guildford Terrace

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 11:38 am

Does anyone know what's actually going to be built behind the facade of Guildford Terrace?

NorthCityBoy

Re: Guildford Terrace

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 4:51 pm

Just asked my mate and he reckons allotments. I think he might be taking the mick. Student digs isn’t it?

Ash

PostSat Oct 12, 2019 5:01 pm

I don't think it's been decided yet.

Student accomodation was the original plan when Rapports evicted the tenants but that could change now the council and Rapports are drawing up a master plan for the area.

It's bound to be something tall, i think, but BTR appartments seem to be the new big thing

LRcardiff

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 12:34 pm

Rapports need to take a good hard look at themselves before they continue to destroy important Cardiff Landmarks.

They’re playing monopoly with our city. Disgusting behaviour.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/family-wants-knock-down-cardiffs-15584809?utm_source=whatsapp&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

Ash

PostSun Oct 13, 2019 11:22 pm

Let me put this gently. That article is almost a year old and I'm surprised WalesOnline haven't pulled it from their website.

It's a clearly anti-semitic piece about Cardiff's leading Jewish family. There have been no similar investigations into non-Jewish Cardiff business dynasties. JR Smart, nope. Rightacres, nope. Jews, yes. To be fair, WalesOnline published another, more balanced, article later.

Frankly, people who post phrases like 'Rapports need to take a good hard look at themselves' need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Jews guilty of 'disgusting behaviour' and 'playing monopoly'? Where have I heard that before?

Bluegazza

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 9:18 am

Well that escalated quickly

Thewasp

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 1:01 pm

I dont see the need to bring religion into the discussion about development in the city. Just my view though.

Dr O

PostMon Oct 14, 2019 5:12 pm

Ash wrote:Let me put this gently. That article is almost a year old and I'm surprised WalesOnline haven't pulled it from their website.

It's a clearly anti-semitic piece about Cardiff's leading Jewish family. There have been no similar investigations into non-Jewish Cardiff business dynasties. JR Smart, nope. Rightacres, nope. Jews, yes. To be fair, WalesOnline published another, more balanced, article later.

Frankly, people who post phrases like 'Rapports need to take a good hard look at themselves' need to take a good hard look at themselves.

Jews guilty of 'disgusting behaviour' and 'playing monopoly'? Where have I heard that before?

I hear what you are saying regarding antisemitism, Jew's controlling the financial and property sectors to the detriment of everyone else is a familiar trope and I think terms like 'playing monopoly' are best avoided as it can normalise anti-Semitic language even if the original comment was not intended that way. However, criticism of powerful people, particularly when they are making decisions that have wide ranging impacts, is perfectly acceptable in any reasonable society.
The Rapport's are a powerful family in the context of Cardiff, and the way they wield that power can and should be scrutinised just as it should be for JR Smart and Rightacres. When you do scrutinise, it's fairly hard to argue that the way the Rapport's land has been and is used is positive for the city. I could make that argument for both JR Smart and Rightacres; both are responsible for high quality developments on previously rundown areas - in the case of rightacres in a key location.

daearegwr

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 4:36 pm

Keeping the fronts of the buildings but removing everything else is fairly pointless really - they may as well have knocked the whole lot down. It'll look awful whatever ends up getting build behind it.

NorthCityBoy

PostTue Oct 15, 2019 9:58 pm

daearegwr wrote:Keeping the fronts of the buildings but removing everything else is fairly pointless really - they may as well have knocked the whole lot down. It'll look awful whatever ends up getting build behind it.

Agree with this. I don’t think Guildford Crescent is very pleasing on the eye at all but the buildings themselves were part of the old Cardiff that is disappearing. Just keeping the facade seems like pointless token gesture.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum