It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:39 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: General Developments

PostTue Nov 05, 2019 9:41 pm

Frank wrote:I've seen some worrying stuff regarding the funding of student accommodation. I'm not saying 'subprime' but it does worry me. There was also a major university that was said to be in major financial difficulty and had to get support from the government.

Is there the correct incentive in place for universities to borrow responsibly?

The student accomodation developments in Cardiff are private investments, not universty ones.

Having said that, UK Univesities have been on a property splurge, banking on a never ending flow of foreign students and maxing out on tuition fees. Cardiff University's splurge, while large, pales into insignificance beside some others. The two new Swansea campuses in particular look like cases of overeach.

Brian62

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 3:17 pm

The building works on Atlantic wharf seem to have stopped. Not seen any workers there for three weeks or more now. The website advertised on the hoardings is as much use a chocolate teapot.

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 3:38 pm

Brian62 wrote:The building works on Atlantic wharf seem to have stopped. Not seen any workers there for three weeks or more now. The website advertised on the hoardings is as much use a chocolate teapot.

I have been reliably informed that the contractors on site previously were only doing the drainage works. Main contractor to be on site in February / March. Build will be in phases, this site is a mix of social housing, rent to own and private ownership. Full completion late 2022 / early 2023.

Brian62

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 4:35 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:
Brian62 wrote:The building works on Atlantic wharf seem to have stopped. Not seen any workers there for three weeks or more now. The website advertised on the hoardings is as much use a chocolate teapot.

I have been reliably informed that the contractors on site previously were only doing the drainage works. Main contractor to be on site in February / March. Build will be in phases, this site is a mix of social housing, rent to own and private ownership. Full completion late 2022 / early 2023.

Ah ok, thanks. Long gap between contractors.

Ash

PostMon Nov 11, 2019 10:53 pm

WTF? I mean, is there anything at all that South Wales Police won't object to or do they want all people and businesses removed from Cardiff city centre in order to ensure perfect peace and harmony?

This is simply bonkers. It's a KFC in the city centre not a bloody opium den!!

Police have objected to plans for a KFC on Cardiff's St Mary Street due to crime and disorder worries. The fast food giant wants to open up on the famous street in the capital, but South Wales Police have formally objected.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/kfc-cardiff-st-mary-street-17236436

Mr Blue Sky

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 11:47 am

Ash wrote:WTF? I mean, is there anything at all that South Wales Police won't object to or do they want all people and businesses removed from Cardiff city centre in order to ensure perfect peace and harmony?

This is simply bonkers. It's a KFC in the city centre not a bloody opium den!!

Police have objected to plans for a KFC on Cardiff's St Mary Street due to crime and disorder worries. The fast food giant wants to open up on the famous street in the capital, but South Wales Police have formally objected.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/kfc-cardiff-st-mary-street-17236436

Fried chicken restaurants attract trouble and disorder. This is a fact. KFC attracts a certain clientele involved in gangsterism and drug dealing. If you can't handle this truth it says more about your inclinations and prejudices than you'd probably care to admit.

Amoore

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 12:01 pm

That's irrelevant. They have to object due to the ridiculous Cumulative Impact Policy the council has imposed on the city centre.

That's not to say the Police are completely blameless as they advise on the policy. Also they don't always object as sometimes they miss the applications going through. It's a bit of a shambles really.

Amoore

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Having now read the article, this is just another case of shoddy journalism on the part of WalesOnline.

The police isn't objecting to KFC opening, they just wish to add conditions to the licence. In order for police to add conditions to a licence application they have to object.

Ash

PostTue Nov 12, 2019 8:27 pm

Mr Blue Sky wrote:
Fried chicken restaurants attract trouble and disorder. This is a fact. KFC attracts a certain clientele involved in gangsterism and drug dealing. If you can't handle this truth it says more about your inclinations and prejudices than you'd probably care to admit.

What an unpleasant tone to adopt in what's normaly are a fairly civilised discussion. Someone having different views from you isn't a crime and there's a world of difference between the chicken shops you describe and a well-run international chain like KFC.

If you have any evidence to the contrary, feel free to produce it.

In the meantime, may I gently suggest that someone who links a particular dish associated with African-Americans with 'a certain clientele involved in gangsterism and drug dealing' regardless of the nature of the outlets selling it, has a far greater problem with prejudice than I do.

Mr Blue Sky

PostWed Nov 13, 2019 1:17 am

Ash wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote:

What an unpleasant tone to adopt in what's normaly are a fairly civilised discussion. Someone having different views from you isn't a crime and there's a world of difference between the chicken shops you describe and a well-run international chain like KFC.

If you have any evidence to the contrary, feel free to produce it.

In the meantime, may I gently suggest that someone who links a particular dish associated with African-Americans with 'a certain clientele involved in gangsterism and drug dealing' regardless of the nature of the outlets selling it, has a far greater problem with prejudice than I do.

You've proved my point. I didn't mention ethnicity or race.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum