It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Neil

Re: General Developments

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 11:47 am

I think an opportunity has been missed here to reorder the roads. I would have extended Ty Glas Ave through the site with two parcels to the north and south of what would be a decent sized road. At the moment they have one of the main accesses to the site off Parc Ty Glas which isn't ideal, even now.

Then reconnect Ty Glas Road above Gleider House as a straight through road, and extend the park west to cover the last bend in Ty Glas Ave just before Gleider House.

However this plan would also involve part of the old Homebase site being used for a new roundabout that would serve the extended Ty Glas Ave, Ty Glas Road, a repositoned Ashbourn Way (serving Morrisons) and Coed Glas Road. This would increase the length of road before the roundabout on Caerphilly Road which is currently a bottleneck.

Yes I've had a lot of time to think about this! :lol:

DJKiran

PostWed Nov 20, 2019 9:51 pm

imo, those buildings look so 1950s. It's time to modernise them

Cardiff

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 2:20 pm

I think a sensitive restoration and modernisation would be better, we dont have many buildings of this time period left and this one isnt too bad

Karl

PostThu Nov 21, 2019 3:08 pm

I agree. I like the size and the shape of the main tower. I also like the incongruity of it being slap bang in the middle of suburban Llanishen.

If the smaller tower can fit 142 flats then this could surely fit around 300? Get rid of the rest of the buildings on the site and there will still be room to fit in a reasonable amount of open space, a care facility, retirement home and around 100 houses I reckon. A sympathetic restoration could make this a landmark building.

Sadly I think as soon as the national house builders get hold of it they will go conservative and appeal to the family suburban type market. I also fully expect the local Nimby machine to get properly cranked up and insist all signs of modernism are wiped off the face of north Cardiff in favour of low density faux Georgian with off road parking. They will also insist on plenty of open space even though there is already Glide Park, Llanishen Park and two playing field in the development that was built on the ROF site. :roll:

As an aside there is quite a lot of development going on in Llanishen at the moment. A McCarthy and Stone development has just been completed next to the leisure centre which looks quite nice. Near Ty Glas station there is also a complex of flats nearing completion (I think these are age controlled - i.e. residents have to be over 55) and across the road flats and houses being built on the site previously occupied by Travis Perkins. Plus a McDonalds!

Thewasp

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 7:35 pm

Dont know of there is a thread but I've often wondered why we dont have an aquarium in Cardiff. We are right by the sea and the one in Bristol always seems busy
Are they not cost effective? Seems a great way to bring in new set of tourists

Rhodri

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 7:41 pm

I have been told an aquarium is one of the things to be considered for the two docks between MQ and Sovereign Quay.

Thewasp

PostSat Nov 23, 2019 8:35 pm

Amazing!! We could use the other for a lido perhaps....

Peiriannydd

PostSun Nov 24, 2019 9:22 pm

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Nov 25, 2019 4:57 am

Peiriannydd wrote:Interesting read:
https://cardiff.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s2422/Item

Plenty of plans for Cardiff Bay there which have just never happened... At least not yet.

Stephens9370

PostTue Nov 26, 2019 11:07 pm

What’s the situation with the hope street tower?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum