It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:45 am

Central quay

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

amp

Re: Central quay

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 10:39 am

I think the car park will be built before the ledger also.

elgdav

PostWed Dec 04, 2019 10:52 am

The depot is moving it's premises closer to central quay

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... n-17350251

Philnpt

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 10:02 pm

Plans submitted for the reduction in height of the ledger building by 3 stories
I wonder if this means that they’ve found a tenant or that they are struggling to fill the space
https://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online- ... APR_129637

Cwlcymro

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 12:16 am

Philnpt wrote:Plans submitted for the reduction in height of the ledger building by 3 stories
I wonder if this means that they’ve found a tenant or that they are struggling to fill the space
https://planning.cardiff.gov.uk/online- ... APR_129637

Also not called 'The Ledger' anymore. It's new name is... 'One Central Quay'. How boring.

Edit: More info:

Construction of 'One Central Quay' to start May 2020, carpark construction later in 2020
Ready by May 2022, carpark ready a few months earlier

They have a tenant in mind for the offices. It says:

The additional detailed design has been undertaken in order to meet the specific requirements of the intended future tenant.

Changes in full

A reduction in height of the approved office building by 3 storeys (maximum height
now 48.5m AOD). The associated floorspace has decreased to approximately 14,745 sq
m (NIA) / 18,671 sq m (GIA);

b The glazed set back above level 01 terrace has been reduced to a single storey and the
elevation above lowered accordingly; and,

c The ground floor has been reconfigured as follows:
i New entrance added off Market Square elevation
ii Retail unit added to southern corner;
iii Markethall changed to flexible retail/food & drink units (A1/A3);
iv Cycle parking, showers etc relocated “landside” in lieu of bus café;
v Bus café moved to a location between grids Q and S
vi Plant reconfigured to suit;
vii Bin store reconfigured;
viii Dedicated service corridor added to retail units;
ix Reception area reconfigured; and
x 1 No. passenger lift changed to dedicated goods lift.

From looking at the ground floor plan, the whole 'Market Square' idea has been scrapped. The ground floor is now just regular retail units (9 of them, 1 of which is a 'Bus Cafe')

Kyle

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 4:58 am

That's a shame, it still looks okay for what it is, but is now around the same height as No 1 and 2 Central Square plus the Capital Quarter Offices...so around 8-9.

The Market Square thing was always a bit 'fluffy', sounded nice but if they've been approached by retailers then no surprise they've changed their minds.

Oh well, it does maybe sound like it could be a pre-let and together with the plans for the older buildings as well maybe we'll actually see an actual start on this project next year.

There's been no news on the hotel yet though has there?

Lewisbeecham

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:47 am

Still really like the look of the building and good news that it'll start next year. That should mean the build for the Brains building, One Central Quay and the car park. Plenty of activity in 2020!

LRcardiff

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 3:07 pm

I liked the The Ledge name, shame it's going to be losing 3 floors - less to look at up haha

But great if its secured tenants!

Thewasp

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 5:41 pm

Does this mean that the plans for the 50 restaurants and bars and the pop up food hall have been shelved too? I hope not :-(

RandomComment

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 6:09 pm

The foodhall on the groundfloor of the ledger has been replaced by a bunch of retail units facing out on to the square.

I think this will probably make it harder to market the retail/catering space, but probably makes sense from the perspective of an office occupier - if it is a single tenant in particular. The original design was cool but rather unusual - the office reception being surrounded on at least 2 sides by a market / street-food type venue. Perhaps work for a multi-let building focused on creative, tech type firms, but not for a professional services firm.

Because I'm guessing that L&G might be moving to this building, rather than the Interchange. Because the interchange doesn't require such pre-let activity to progress with, Rightacres are probably happy to steer such a big occupier to this building, and go for a multi-let strategy for the Interchange.

Could be wrong as no specific knowledge though.

Philnpt

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:36 pm

I’m thinking it could be BT, anyone know what sort of office space they would require in Cardiff?
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum