It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:54 am

Happy New Year - got a feeling 2020's gonna be a busy one!

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

paul cardiffwalesmap

Happy New Year - got a feeling 2020's gonna be a busy one!

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 1:24 am

Firstly Happy New Year to all that contribute or just look in on this forum!

Hope everyone got some of the things they wanted for Christmas - my letter to santa must've got lost in the post coz I asked for some positive news on the 'Hope Tower' customhouse st!! In fact he certainly didn't get it as I also requested a bright 2020 for Cardiff City FC!!! and after losing 6-1 today :oops: presumably that letter was un-received or perhaps santa isn't a bluebird after all!! - surely not :o

Regardless of news on the customhouse st development there seems to be a lot of construction booked in for 2020! Those already under construction are going to make an impact on our skyline this year. Premier Inn, The Interchange central sq, Bradley court, Capital Qrtr apartments, John St offices, Dumballs Road Apartments and the new build for the hotel in Westgate St. to name but 7!

Others that are likely to get underway this year... Central Quay multistorey car park, No1 Central Quay and Curran Road Apartments. Also hopefully the new 15,000 arena will continue to move in the right direction. There are a number of other potential developments and hopefully a few will pop up out of the blue - please can we have something over 107m so that we at least have the tallest building in Wales in this city :roll:

I hope you continue looking in here to stay up to speed with all development in the evolving city of Cardiff -

Wishing everyone a Happy, Healthy and Constructive New Year!!
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Lewisbeecham

Re: Happy New Year - got a feeling 2020's gonna be a busy on

PostThu Jan 02, 2020 10:27 am

Add the following:

- 16-storey build to rent tower planned for Charles Street.
- The fate of Guildford Crescent to be known? High rise build to rent?
- The fate of the Motorpoint Arena and neighboring NCP car park and Rapports building.
- The fate of the Welsh Government owned land in Callaghan Square, will Cardiff Council take it on board for their new HQ?
- Multiple new cycle highways in the city centre to start in March. Lloyd George Avenue to start late 2020.
- The Wharf development to begin in March off Schooner Way. Mixed development of social, rent to own and private ownership flats. 4 towers ranging from 6 - 8 storeys.
- Military medicine museum in Cardiff Bay.
- Hopefully development will begin on the bigger Corey building on Bute Street. Check out the Bank development across the road, they have done a fantastic job!
- Central Square 6... will we see anything?
- Re-development of Howells.
- Qatar 5 star hotel seems to have vanished but it could still come back this year.

Hopefully we also get some clarity on when the re-development of Cardiff Central will be taking place in the future and perhaps something on the re-development of Arms Park?

It's certainly going to be a busy 2020 and a big decade of developments for Cardiff!

Cwlcymro

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 3:39 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:- The fate of Guildford Crescent to be known? High rise build to rent?
- The fate of the Motorpoint Arena and neighboring NCP car park and Rapports building.

I'd lump these two in together and hope we get the masterplan of the new canal quarter. It does sound like there's plans to open up a canal in that area (considering the name!)

Lewisbeecham

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 5:29 pm

Cwlcymro wrote:
Lewisbeecham wrote:- The fate of Guildford Crescent to be known? High rise build to rent?

I'd lump these two in together and hope we get the masterplan of the new canal quarter. It does sound like there's plans to open up a canal in that area (considering the name!)

Yes. I think it'll be announced by March that Live Nation have got the deal to run the new arena and officially announce the closing of the Motorpoint (once completed). Towards the end of 2020 we could see a masterplan for the Canal Quarter. That would be nice anyhow :D

Msmurf

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 7:35 pm

The Buried Culvert Quarter doesnt sound as classy....
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Ash

PostMon Jan 06, 2020 11:41 pm

Yeah, it's a bit annoying. It's the docks feeder. It was never a canal in the sense that no boat or barge ever sailed down it.

I'm not against opening it up, but it was just a ditch. The Glamorganshire Canal followed a different route.

Cwlcymro

PostTue Jan 07, 2020 11:02 pm

Ash wrote:Yeah, it's a bit annoying. It's the docks feeder. It was never a canal in the sense that no boat or barge ever sailed down it.

I'm not against opening it up, but it was just a ditch. The Glamorganshire Canal followed a different route.

It's been called the dock feeder canal for quite some time though to be fair. And going by the dictionary, 'Canal' isn't just for waterways that carry boats:

"a long, thin stretch of water that is artificially made either for boats to travel along or for taking water from one area to another"

Interestingly 'docks feeder' seems to be a name just for this one waterway in Cardiff, I can't see that term used for any other waterway anywhere in the world

Simon__200

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 3:12 pm

If we are going to get into definitions for bodies of water, it always struck me as a bit odd that nobody in Cardiff ever seems to use the word reen or rhyne. Anyone from Newport would be familiar with that term to describe the various channels of water in the low-lying coastal areas at both the west and east extremes of the city, but whenever I have mentioned it in Cardiff I'm met with a blank stare.

What do people in Cardiff call the drainage channels near east of where the Rhymney flows into the Servern estuary, near Pwll-Mawr?

Rhodri

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 4:34 pm

Simon, I think they call them the drainage channels near east of where the Rhymney flows into the Servern estuary, near Pwll-Mawr.

Msmurf

PostMon Jan 13, 2020 5:16 pm

My brother lives in St Mellons and he calls them Reens. I call them ditches.
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum