It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Central quay

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Thewasp

Re: Central quay

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 8:36 pm

So the 50 restaurants and bars have been changed to 9 retail units like Boots, Starbucks, Tesco Express, Gregg's, etc..
Great.

Bishop84

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 10:19 pm

RandomComment wrote:The foodhall on the groundfloor of the ledger has been replaced by a bunch of retail units facing out on to the square.

I think this will probably make it harder to market the retail/catering space, but probably makes sense from the perspective of an office occupier - if it is a single tenant in particular. The original design was cool but rather unusual - the office reception being surrounded on at least 2 sides by a market / street-food type venue. Perhaps work for a multi-let building focused on creative, tech type firms, but not for a professional services firm.

Because I'm guessing that L&G might be moving to this building, rather than the Interchange. Because the interchange doesn't require such pre-let activity to progress with, Rightacres are probably happy to steer such a big occupier to this building, and go for a multi-let strategy for the Interchange.

Could be wrong as no specific knowledge though.

It has been rumoured that the extra floors were being added to the Interchange was in order to make more space in order to accommodate L&G.

Moftow

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 11:19 pm

Thewasp wrote:So the 50 restaurants and bars have been changed to 9 retail units like Boots, Starbucks, Tesco Express, Gregg's, etc..
Great.

I doubted that there would end up being 50 bars, restaurants, etc when the plans first came out. I think we may end up with something less 'grand' and ambitious, but something that will still add another element to this part of town. It's interesting though that for the apparent desparate need for new office space, there isn't the necessary demand for it yet.

RandomComment

PostThu Dec 12, 2019 3:48 pm

Moftow wrote:
Thewasp wrote:So the 50 restaurants and bars have been changed to 9 retail units like Boots, Starbucks, Tesco Express, Gregg's, etc..
Great.

I doubted that there would end up being 50 bars, restaurants, etc when the plans first came out. I think we may end up with something less 'grand' and ambitious, but something that will still add another element to this part of town. It's interesting though that for the apparent desparate need for new office space, there isn't the necessary demand for it yet.

I'm not sure I agree with that.

My concern was that the "Ledger building" would be one of those things that never gets built. They wanteed 50% pre-let before building and in what I think was something like a 260,000 square foot building thats a tall order in a city like Cardiff. It now looks like they may have a single occupant willing to take a building of about 170,000 square feet. That's got to be good news.

LRcardiff

PostThu Jan 23, 2020 9:17 am

Exciting plans for the Brewery building have the formally submitted.

Can’t wait to see the first 3 buildings as part of this wider development. Do think it’s a bit of shame they’re attaching a glass office building to the east side of the Brewery Building and why the brewery can’t be preserved a it’s own entity in the central quay development but guess an office development that offers the old and the new is attractive to a tenant!

https://planningonline.cardiff.gov.uk/o ... ab=summary

RandomComment

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 12:22 pm

Just to note, I decided to read the cover letter for the reduction in scale and redesign of the Ledger building. It says they have identified a single occupier for the whole building. Not many organisations would need 170,000 square feet in Cardiff. Only ones I can think of are:
- L&G - and that would allow a bit of an expansion
- Cardiff Council, but surely they'd have to be worried about the bad PR of being in the most expensive/prestigious new development in the city
- A big incoming investor

Lewisbeecham

PostThu Feb 06, 2020 12:33 pm

RandomComment wrote:Just to note, I decided to read the cover letter for the reduction in scale and redesign of the Ledger building. It says they have identified a single occupier for the whole building. Not many organisations would need 170,000 square feet in Cardiff. Only ones I can think of are:
- Cardiff Council, but surely they'd have to be worried about the bad PR of being in the most expensive/prestigious new development in the city

Aren't Legal and General tipped for the whole of the Interchange? Not confirmed. Surely there's no way the Council could justify moving to Central Quay 1, even if it was on a temporary basis to speed up the arena development. Admiral have already signed up for more space at Capital Quarter 4.

It would be nice to have a new employer enter the city on such a big scale.

Cwlcymro

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 10:05 am

RandomComment wrote:Just to note, I decided to read the cover letter for the reduction in scale and redesign of the Ledger building. It says they have identified a single occupier for the whole building. Not many organisations would need 170,000 square feet in Cardiff. Only ones I can think of are:

When this was discussed on the previous page in December, one person thought it would be L&G as Rightacres would rather have them take up this building than Interchange (as Interchange will still be built without being pre-let), another suggested BT

Ash

PostFri Feb 07, 2020 10:55 pm

BT would make sense. Despite a turn of the century refurb Stadium House must be approaching its sell-by date in tech terms. I've never been inside but I'm guessing it would convert pretty easily to residential / hotel use.

Cwlcymro

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 12:59 pm

Ash wrote:BT would make sense. Despite a turn of the century refurb Stadium House must be approaching its sell-by date in tech terms. I've never been inside but I'm guessing it would convert pretty easily to residential / hotel use.

I've been to Stadium House once, when a struggling FedEx delivery driver dropped off 15 boxes at Stadium House instead of...well...the stadium so I had to go carry them back and forth!
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum