It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:45 am

Cardiff Bay Zip Wire

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

lucky

Re: Cardiff Bay Zip Wire

PostMon Nov 18, 2019 6:33 pm

Sadly, it wasn't. As someone else living in that block of flats, it would have gone straight past my windows on about my level, and it was indeed 48 people an hour from 9am at weekends (11am weekdays) till at least 7pm at night. Feel free to pop over and stand between the flats and the water facing the hotel and see what I mean - it's closer than it looks on photos. Plus spectators cheering their chums on, people milling around because of delays (which happened a lot on their other one in London). Very glad the hotel finally worked out quite how disruptive it would be to their fancy guests too.

Kyle

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 10:15 am

lucky wrote:Sadly, it wasn't. As someone else living in that block of flats, it would have gone straight past my windows on about my level, and it was indeed 48 people an hour from 9am at weekends (11am weekdays) till at least 7pm at night. Feel free to pop over and stand between the flats and the water facing the hotel and see what I mean - it's closer than it looks on photos. Plus spectators cheering their chums on, people milling around because of delays (which happened a lot on their other one in London). Very glad the hotel finally worked out quite how disruptive it would be to their fancy guests too.

I lived in the district of Dubai Marina a few years back where there was a zipline, which for anyone that has visited is a very built up and noisy area. Regardless of that you could still hear very clearly people screaming with excitement as they used the ziplines from nearby buildings, it's just the way the noise is carried I guess. Maybe the Cardiff Bay one would have been different in that respect, but It's not something for a residential area as far as I'm concerned, or near a 5 star hotel where people have paid plenty for their stay, or indeed for anyone trying to enjoy a good meal in a restaurant etc. (which is where I noticed all the noise and was glad I was living the other end of the marina)

It's the only comparison I have, but it didn't seem like a great idea to me. What sort of feedback have these things had in other built up areas? It's quite different hearing traffic noise etc, but hearing people scream tends to distract people from whatever they are doing, which isn't fair on people

lucky

PostSun Feb 16, 2020 4:06 pm

In case anyone has bought tickets but not seen the news, the zip wire in the Bay is not only cancelled but refunds are being referred to an insolvency company. Both their London and Cardiff social media have gone down and the company is presumably finished. Let's hope people get their refunds, because the company continued to sell long after their plans collapsed, promising people it was all just a misunderstanding and a new route would be announced shortly.

lucky

PostWed Apr 29, 2020 4:36 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wale ... s-18157185

So he'd like to carry on trading but only pay half his debts, please?
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum