It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:15 am

10 years of St Mary Street pedestrianisation

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Glenn

10 years of St Mary Street pedestrianisation

PostFri Feb 28, 2020 6:34 am

Well, almost 10 years.

I was discussing with a friend yesterday whether the regeneration that pedestrianisation was expected to bring about has come to fruition? Whether a decade on it can be deemed a success?

I personally had mixed feelings. I certainly wouldn’t like to see traffic streaming along the street again any time soon, It’s become a good thoroughfare for cyclists and pedestrians. But I don’t think it’s drawn more people and business to the street like hoped, if anything Retail has all but gone apart from HoF, Central Market and a few others. It’s become almost a holding pen for match days and for drunks after clubs kick out to pick up fast food. Also issues around homelessness and drug use. But, I think pedestrianisation has worked well for High St/Castle Quarter end where there are less bars and away from the stadium, they do seem to use the street for outdoor seating and theyve put time and money into rebranding that area.

I also wonder how much the loss of the bus station has affected things. Since I know I used to take the bus all the way to the bus station often and St Mary St would be my first port of call. Atleast on my bus from East Cardiff, most people now seemingly get off near Queen St. I wonder if once the bus station opens this will change things for St Mary St.

I wonder if Central Square will bring about a Renaissance for St Mary St. It’s the most architecturally interesting street in the city centre in my opinion, probably the first street visitors will go down when leaving the station, but I still don’t think it’s living up to it’s potential.

Any thoughts?

paul cardiffwalesmap

Re: 10 years of St Mary Street pedestrianisation

PostFri Feb 28, 2020 2:21 pm

Yes isn't the street taking time to evolve! sometimes, like a busy summer saturday it feels like it's getting there! (a bit) but then on a wet winters monday afternoon it's a long way off! I think it's probably finding it's feet and is suffering a bit of an identity crisis. Long term though I think it will be a great street - High St, is the way forward! When both Central Square and Central Quay are complete it will offer a great 'historic' variation to these very modern areas.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Cardiffbay

Re: 10 years of St Mary Street pedestrianisation

PostFri Feb 28, 2020 2:44 pm

paul cardiffwalesmap wrote:Yes isn't the street taking time to evolve! sometimes, like a busy summer saturday it feels like it's getting there! (a bit) but then on a wet winters monday afternoon it's a long way off! I think it's probably finding it's feet and is suffering a bit of an identity crisis. Long term though I think it will be a great street - High St, is the way forward! When both Central Square and Central Quay are complete it will offer a great 'historic' variation to these very modern areas.

Yes as the city center slowly creeps west this area will almost become the new queen street. That starts a new issue as the east end of queen street now seems to be suffering from an identity crisis and looking more and more run down

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum