It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:14 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Peiriannydd

Re: General Developments

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 4:59 pm

Cardiff wrote:I noticed the student tower on Park Place has had the core structure removed from the top after only a couple of floors, any news on this being placed on hold?

See this article about Unite postponing projects in London and Bristol:
https://www.constructionenquirer.com/20 ... -projects/

I'm not sure who is doing this scheme but I would imagine other people are in a similar situation.

Peiriannydd

PostSun Apr 26, 2020 5:03 pm

To me it seems a bit silly. That tower crane will be costing them far more money sat idle that just some jumping formwork for the core. It could be a case that they've just taken it down to make the works safe while they put things on hold for a few weeks. If the tower crane is taken down then you'll know that project is going to be shelved for the long term.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostSat May 02, 2020 12:42 am

So where are we on construction now that we have at least arrested the spread of this virus? Whilst normal life as we know it or indeed knew it! is some time off :| this is what has or hasn't been going on...

Bradley Court - Up until a week ago the tower crane was active and the central core is at the 3rd level - also generally above ground so it looks like about half of level one constructed. I'll be checking activity early next week to see if construction continuing and at what pace.
The Interchange - low level activity has been proceeding and I'm wondering if this may increase soon as the 1st tower crane is going up this weekend.
Premier Inn A fair bit of activity up until easter, but last week there didn't appear to be any work on site and I didn't see any tower crane activity, again next week will be interesting on this one.
Callaghan Sq. Seemed to go quiet at first but last week tower crane was active and work proceeding, but it doesn't look like it's the full workforce involved. Progress is almost at completion of level 3.
Cap Qtr Resi-Tower - I'm not sure if this is full on, but it doesn't look far off that - it's been the busiest city centre construction site. Haven't seen any crane base from where I've observed proceedings, but surely there must be one as from rate of progress it would appear to be required very soon.
Westgate St Hotel Work seems to have proceeded throughout, and again it looks to me that construction above ground doesn't look far off, so perhaps we'll see another crane here in the not too distant.

Finally a friend of mine who has been a banksman on various city centre projects told me the other day that he is waiting to hear if he's got the gig for the Guildford crescent development!! so hopefully that's not dead in the water (presumably canal :) ) Anyway if that does proceed maybe reflects positively on the whole motor point arena and ultimately the big one down the Bay. Who knows - but ever the optimist. Oh and it's been quiet on this forum recently but as the immediate nightmare of this pandemic eases I fully intend getting back to following developments in this city of ours! I hope all you reading this have remained in good health, but I dare say (like me) it has touched somebody you know and of course we all need to try and stay safe as it's not behind us yet :| but the light at the end of the tunnel is getting cautiously but increasingly brighter! :)
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Lewisbeecham

PostSat May 02, 2020 1:54 am

Just to add that construction is back on the old Wharf pub site, drilling has commenced and digging up the former car park. Easily 8-10 workers on site.

Workers haven't returned yet to the Holiday Inn Express where they are revamping the hotel to include a Staybridge Suites.

daearegwr

PostFri May 15, 2020 12:03 pm

I've seen that Cardiff Council are brining forward some of their existing transport and clean air plans to help deliver social distancing in parts of the City. They are going ahead and removing one of the traffic lanes on Castle Street and piloting removal of car parking on Wellfield Road in Roath so widen the pavements to allow social distancing

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-52582574

Extending pavements into the road in shopping areas is one of several steps being piloted in Cardiff ahead of any easing of the Covid-19 lockdown.

Cardiff council said it was looking at different ways to ensure people could safely move in public spaces.
Councillor Caro Wild said it was a "significant challenge".

"Public space will have to be adapted to ensure social-distancing can be maintained as the city gradually starts to re-open for business," he said.

As part of its plans to improve public spaces in light of the coronavirus outbreak, the council is looking at creating temporary cycleways.It will also consider removing street furniture and carrying out a speed awareness campaign.

Mr Wild, cabinet member for strategic planning and transport, said pavements in the city were not "designed to allow a two-metre distance" between people so adaptations were necessary.

The first shopping area to see the temporary changes will be Wellfield Road in Roath. Plans have been drawn up to remove car parking on either side of the road to ensure the pavement can be safely extended into the road.

Mr Wild said: "It is important everyone understands that the city can't be transformed overnight to ensure social distancing guidelines are followed. "This is a significant task and we have to be confident that any temporary measures we do put in place are safe for the public to use."

He said the council would look to rollout similar schemes elsewhere once any necessary adjustments had been made.
Mr Wild said work was also under way to create a "safer city centre".

Other road traffic works are also being considered in the city, including bringing forward previously announced clean-air proposals on Castle Street. The first of these will see the traffic lane next to the castle on Castle Street being removed so that the walkway can be extended into the road for both pedestrians and cyclists to use.

Mr Wild said the council would also bring forward a traffic-improvement scheme in Wood Street and Central Square.

Ash

PostSun May 17, 2020 4:58 pm

I think the Wellfield Road scheme should have been done years ago, if I'm honest. Wellfield Rd has some great shops and eateries but the narrow pavements and poor air quality probably deter more potential customers than the parking spaces attract.

There are plenty of other streets where the same approach should be adopted noteably Cowbridge Rd East , Whitchurch Road and Albany Road.

I find the Cowbridge Road situation particularly galling as there are no fewer than four, seldom full, car parks nearby. Why on earth allow on-street parking as well?

DavidH71

PostMon May 18, 2020 10:57 pm

Cowbridge Road East really does cry out for a major refurbishment scheme. At the moment it is still trying to be both a shopping street and a major traffic route, but there is a good alternative for most of that traffic along Lansdown Road. The pavements need to be widened and totally resurfaced, and better crossing facilities provided, especially around Canton Cross.

I would also add Clare Road and City Road to the list. There is a big opportunity to make our local high streets places that people actively choose to go to - and most will be able to walk or cycle there, rather than needing to use the bus or car.

Harok

PostThu May 21, 2020 2:07 pm

Cardiff council need to be doing far more than this and much, much faster. They are reacting to this opportunity glacially slowly and will miss the once in many generations chance to make rapid major changes. The road outside the castle should be fully pedestrianised. There should be far more areas getting the treatment wellfield road is.

Brian62

PostThu May 21, 2020 3:04 pm

Lewisbeecham wrote:Just to add that construction is back on the old Wharf pub site, drilling has commenced and digging up the former car park. Easily 8-10 workers on site.

Workers haven't returned yet to the Holiday Inn Express where they are revamping the hotel to include a Staybridge Suites.

Workers back at holiday Inn this week. Counted eight today, four sun bathing. Looks like new doors installs facing the water.

Both building sites have moved their barriers closer to the water. Bit difficult to walk past now.

Brian62

PostTue Jun 02, 2020 1:35 pm

Builders on Easyhotel site this morning. Not sure how many as traffic flowing, first time I've been past for a few weeks.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum