It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:23 am

Train routes could be split into English and Welsh services

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

dave

Train routes could be split into English and Welsh services

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 10:02 am

A new franchise deal could see British train routes being split into Welsh and English services, it has been claimed.

Management of the Wales and Border train franchise is due to be devolved before the current Arriva Trains deal ends in 2018, by the UK government.

At present, Arriva Trains Wales is paid a subsidy of approximately £180m every year under a 15 year deal with the Welsh Government.

However, First Minister Carwyn Jones has said that the Department for Transport wants to cut all routes beginning and ending in England from the franchise before it is managed by Welsh ministers.

Getting "value" from social media listening
Getting "value" from social media listening
A good listener gives and gets value from a conversation, here are our thoughts on how to get there with social media
Sponsored by StashMetrics
RELATED CONTENT
Cannabis dealer told to 'look at the grief and anguish' he is causing his parents
Motorist crashed van after six pints of beer - and ignoring dad's advice not to drive
A year on from his death ​the legacy of Swansea's gentleman of the street Tea Cosy Pete lives on
The change could see the end of several routes that connect South Wales and places such as Chepstow, Gloucester, Shrewsbury, Crewe and Manchester.

READ MORE: 'Jobsworth' traffic warden slapped ticket on broken down car as driver went for help

Chairman of passenger group Railfuture Wales John Rogers said that it did not make sense to to "amputate the bits that cross into England".

He told the Daily Post: "The Carmarthen-Manchester, the Aberystwyth- Birmingham etc. are well established and logical rail routes, and there is no economic or practical logic in forcing a change of trains at, say, Chester, Shrewsbury or perhaps Abergavenny. In fact, it would be nonsense."

A spokesman for the Welsh Government spokesperson said that negotiations were ongoing over devolving the franchise with the Department for transport, and that a public consulation on the matter has been launched.

He said: "We believe it is essential that the franchise map does not significantly change so that links between Wales and England can be protected together with the financial sustainability of the network as a whole."

A spokesperson for the Department of Transport also added that no decisions would be made without taking into account local view

Read more: http://www.southwales-eveningpost.co.uk ... z3yWnxKOzd
Follow us: @SWEveningPost on Twitter | SWEveningPost on Facebook

Frank

Re: Train routes could be split into English and Welsh servi

PostThu Jan 28, 2016 5:19 pm

I think I've mentioned this before but I don't really get the idea of devolving responsibility for routes that run cross border. Personally I'm not even sure I'd allow transport for London to run the commuter lines in the south east.

Selit1942

PostFri May 22, 2020 7:29 am

Wow, I didn't know about this before. Thanks for sharing this with me. It was very informative and I would like to ask some dissertation writing service to help me write such an informative article myself. Keep up the good work I would love to read more such interesting facts.

cardiffian

PostFri May 22, 2020 3:19 pm

one of the most stupid ideas I've ever heard of

jones4891

PostFri May 22, 2020 4:03 pm

It's from 4 years ago. Just some random bot has dredged it up from the past by the looks of it.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum