It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:23 am

Castle Street

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

LocalLurker

Castle Street

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 2:53 pm

https://twitter.com/cardiffcouncil/stat ... 4134346754

https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap/sta ... 2753435648
... and a cheeky one from Paul too 8-)

What do we make of the 'temporary' pedestrianising of what was once one of Cardiff's most polluted streets to make it more liveable, friendly to active travel and continental?

I like it and am for this sort of development to the city which makes it more liveable and less polluted. I see the backwards sorts have already infected the Twitter threads and WalesOnline comments regarding this :lol: A lot of support for this idea too, would be nice to see more of this reclaiming of cityscape going on throughout Cardiff, and making City Road and Cowbridge Road East one way would be a good start.

DavidH71

Re: Castle Street

PostWed Jul 29, 2020 7:19 pm

I was in the city centre this afternoon and made a point of going to Castle Street to have a look. And what a good job they have made of it - a very neat and tidy facility that will prove to be popular. We ought to have this every summer - and what a great location this would be for Christmas events too.

(Apologies for mentioning Chr*stm*s in July...)

Harok

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 7:43 am

It’s been obvious for a long time that Castle street should be permanently pedestrianised. I hope this “trial” lasts forever. It would be a major improvement to the city centre.

Cardiff

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 9:10 am

Castle street needs a lot of tarting up and the trees go a long way towards this, I would love to see it pedestrianised but there are very few east to west routes in the city center and this was a major one, also any further pedestrianisation needs to include some form of tram/transport.

penarth bloke

PostThu Jul 30, 2020 3:35 pm

Below is my post on the Wales Online Facebook page.

Putting this development into perspective, it's probable that more companies will start to have their employees working from home as offices are, when taking into account, rates, rents and service charges, more expensive than home working. What does that have to do with Castle St? Well companies who are able to get their employees to work from home and have city centre properties could find this an attractive option and so if this begins to happen, traffic will fall, bus and train ridership will fall and so city centre restaurants, cafes and other businesses will have to find other customers and one possible way is with developments like Castle Street.

sebcity

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 8:48 am

In terms of this use of the street itself, it certainly makes the area far prettier.

In terms of if it’s the best use of the main artery linking two parts of the city I’m inclined to disagree.
All it has done is push the pollution of the city centre into areas where people actually spend more of their time, i.e at home.

Being a pontcanna resident, I know how bad Cathedral road can get, I used to use it commute to Llandaff when I lived in the bay - but, you would only see heavy, standstill traffic on it during rush hour / school run. Now it’s pretty much all day. I’m not convinced that’s better for pollution levels or for the general health of people living in those areas of Cardiff... sorry to be a kill joy!

Cardiff really needs to have existing and fully implemented public transport solutions within and around the surrounding areas (yes, I know it’s being worked on, but actually in place) before things like this are implemented. Hate to be a WOL reader but I actually agree with them for once...

Msmurf

PostMon Aug 03, 2020 4:22 pm

I agree that Castle Street should be for pedestrians, cycles and buses/trams only. But in which case Cardiiff have got to improve the East West routes for cars/delivery vehicles. The only viable route is south of the railway line but it needs serious improvements...especially to the west of the Taff.

In an ideal world I would like to see Boulevard de Nantes to be dropped into a tunnel - with the tunnel continuing behind the castle across to Sophia Gardens... but that is never going to happen and would cause horrible disruption for years....
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Cardiffbay

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 11:23 am

I have always thought about something simple. In the polish city of Sopot they have done something similar on a small scale. They have dropped the road for about 100 meters to make a large public area. I think this between the park and the canal would be good.
Attachments
22A43AB7-2710-445F-9902-6F7A69F75C22.jpeg
22A43AB7-2710-445F-9902-6F7A69F75C22.jpeg (123.33 KiB) Viewed 17182 times

Cardiff

PostWed Aug 05, 2020 11:47 am

There is plenty of space around boulevard de Nante and in front of City hall to do this, but there isnt really anywhere the western side of the castle to come back up as it would either need to come back up on castle street or go under the river and then come up a significant distance away. Its also a lot of work and money to make a short distance pedestrianised, would it not be easier just to cut the lanes down to 2 instead of 4 and move the road away from the buildings facing the castle to allow outside seating, add some trees/planting to block any noise/pollution and fancy lamps and it would look a million times better but much cheaper and less disruptive.

daearegwr

PostWed Mar 17, 2021 10:01 am

Cardiff Council's consultation on future of Castle Street is open for comment:
https://www.cardiffnewsroom.co.uk/relea ... 26083.html

The public are being asked for their views on whether general traffic should be allowed to use Cardiff's Castle Street as a thoroughfare again, joining buses, taxis, cyclists, delivery and emergency vehicles which are currently the only traffic allowed on the road.

The public will be asked for their views on the following two options:

Option 1: This involves remodelling traffic lanes and would see one lane of traffic in either direction for all motor vehicles. A westbound bus lane would also be installed, as would wider pedestrian pavements and a segregated, two-way cycleway. The modelled levels of NO2concentrations in air on Castle Street for this option is 32 µg/m3.

Option 2:Staying as is, with the temporary configuration with only buses, taxis, cyclists, emergency and delivery vehicles allowed to use the street. The road would be configured with 1 lane in either direction, greater pavement width on the southern side and bus-gates to be installed to stop private vehicles using the road. The modelled levels of NO2concentrations in air on Castle Street for this option is 21 µg/m3.

Option 2 for me. I'd rather keep it closed to private motor vehicles as a way of nudging people towards other modes of transport. On the caveat that we get the metro delivered so that public transport becomes a much more attractive proposition across the City.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum