It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:40 am

Callaghan Square

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Msmurf

Callaghan Square

PostFri Sep 18, 2020 8:33 pm

I have never been a fan of Cardiff's windswept skatepark which has never lived up to its original vision created by Cardiff Bay Development Corporation.

It was only ever partially complete with a few unispiring buildings on its north side, and its south side has been derelict for years.

Compare Callaghan Square to the privately developed Capital Quarter development to the east, which has developed steadily over the years and is almost complete, with the John Street development already underway to frame the east corner of the square.

Hopefully the ambitious plans for Central Quay to the west will have the same effect on the west end of the square, with the Ledger building and multi storey car park about to start and provide a much needed wind break.

Which just the leaves the south of the square, which is currently derelict. There is outline planning permission already in place for 500,000 sq ft (46,450 m2) of office space across 5 or 6 buildings of 6-12 stories each. The site was originally developed by Cardiff Bay Development Corporation and property company MEPC but was sold to Welsh Goverment in 2013 for no obvious reason.
https://planningonline.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_85429&activeTab=summary

There is also detailed planning permission in place for the first building of 10,000m2 and the Design & Access Statement includes the latest Masterplan for the site which includes some interesting nuggets of information.
https://planningonline.cardiff.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?keyVal=_CARDIFF_DCAPR_101264&activeTab=summary

There is space reserved for a light rail transport corridor between the offices and the road to the south of the square. Cardiff Council have previously stated that their planned Crossrail and Circle Lines would connect Central Station across Callaghan Square. This would then presumably turn north and south to connect to the existing Bay line with a new station planned on the Circle Line (heading north towards Queen Street) at Herbert Street. There is also provision in the adjacent Central Quay development Masterplan to the west for a light rail transport corridor which would connect to this corridor.

Cardiff Council have also previously announced plans (but taken no action) to replace the Herbert Street rail bridge and widen the road from Herbert Street onto the square. They would then change the road layout across the square, with the road to the north of the square closed and reloacted to the south, ending the current gyratory system and making the square more accessible. Presumably the bridge replacement/road widening would incorporate the metro line connections.

Coming back to the offices themselves, Cardiff Council have said that they wanted to move their existing offices at Atlantic Wharf to make space for the new Arena. The most likely location for these offices would be Callaghan Square and an announcement on the arena was expected late 2020, so expect an announcement on Callaghan Square at the same time.

Finally - why was this square renamed from its previous historic name of Bute Square to commemorate a politician, famous for so many failed industrial policies from the 1960s/70s? Although considering the failed nature of Callaghan Square to date maybe it is fitting. But personally I am thinking of launching a petition to change the name of the site back to Bute Square....
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Ash

Re: Callaghan Square

PostSat Sep 19, 2020 11:19 am

I'm willing to stand corected but I think the name "Bute Square" was far from "historic" and only lasted a couple of years.

Prior to the creation of the square that area was a jumble of streets and surface car parks. From memory, the streets included East and West Canal Wharf, Wharf Street and Crichton street.

The names "Bute Avenue" and "Bute Square" were the creations of the CBDC and were changed when the corporation was abolished.

Personally, I think it's entirely appropriate that two Prime Ministers who represented Welsh constituencies, lloyd George an Jim Callaghan are memorialised in this way.

Simon__200

PostThu Sep 24, 2020 7:12 pm

Not least that it's unfair to say that Callahan is remembered for failed industrial policies (also, his tenure as PM was the 70s not the 60s). Sure the winter of discontent is always thrown up by those of a different political persuasion, but that was at the tail end of his run, and shouldn't define him. He was certainly instrumental in bringing Ford to Bridgend, for example. Compared the current shower, he was practically a saint.

oldishDevil

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 5:11 am

I'm no fan of politicians, especially the bunch we've had for the last couple of decades, but Callaghan was a Prime Minister who represented Cardiff, so I think it's more than fair to name something after him.

Msmurf

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 12:08 pm

Ok - I dont want to start a political debate -so I will keep all of my posts to development in the future....

jones4891

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 1:41 pm

https://www.business-live.co.uk/commerc ... w-19016682

Cardiff Council drops plans for new HQ in the centre of the city

Msmurf

PostTue Sep 29, 2020 7:51 pm

That sounds like the Arena plans are being scaled back.....but a new masterplan for Callaghan Square is long overdue. I just hope that there is enough post-covid demand for office space to keep this and Central Quay moving..

Frank

PostWed Sep 30, 2020 11:35 am

I rather like Jim Callaghan. Only person to hold all the great offices of state. And a bit unfair to deride him for failed economic policies when unions/management were such a mess. You might as well blame all UK governments in the last 60 years! And he was only chancellor between 64-67.

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum