It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:12 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Brian62

Re: General Developments

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 1:00 pm

I like the idea of a tall residential block on pierhead street from those brochures. Could then put a foot/cycle bridge over a4232 to red dragon car park.

Plenty of empty buildings for embassies to use round Mount Stuart Square area if needed. Maybe the US could use their Nine Elms concept (I like that building) and build something right on the water's edge.

Bishop84

PostThu Oct 08, 2020 5:13 pm

cjenkinswales wrote:Foreign consulates in Cardiff

Belarus - Consulate
Brazil - Consulate
Canada - Consulate
Denmark - Consulate
Finland - Consulate
France - Consulate
Germany - Consulate
Hungary - Consulate
Iceland - Consulate
India - Consulate
Ireland - Consulate General
Israel - Consulate
Italy - Vice Consulate
Japan - Consulate
Latvia - Consulate
Malta - Consulate
Mexico - Consulate
Namibia - Consulate
Netherlands - Consulate
Slovakia - Consulate
Sweden - Consulate
Switzerland - Consulate
Thailand - Consulate
United States - Representative Office

Virtually all those listed are Honorary Consuls only. The USA Representative office closed several years ago and Welsh Affairs are now served by a virtual office based in the US London Embassy.

In the (very) unlikely event of Wales becoming independent of the UK then it would be doubtful that countries would set up full service embassies in Cardiff. It would be more likely that they would continue to deal with Wales from their embassies in England or UK if NI remained in the Union.

Karl

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 10:06 am

There is an application to demolish the Roath park pub in City Road and replace with flats. The design is utterly vile - its like going back to the worst of the 1990's cookie cutter design for low rise flats. its actually eye popping just how bad it is.
Entirely unsympathetic to its surroundings, out of scale, awful design, crap materials etc. When you compare this with some of the residential stuff going up in Manchester, Leeds, Brum etc its like night and day.

There is also the issue of what's happening in City Road. It seems to me that there were probably only three decent period buildings of scale in the street - the Poets Corner pub, the Gaiety and the Roath Park pub. One has been demolished (PC's - plot still empty many years later), one is due for demolishing for unviable student accommodation and now this.

I don't have a problem with the pub closing down if its not viable. That seems to be an ongoing process in inner city areas around the UK particularly with the current situation. If the building is incapable of being converted into a useful alternative use then in principle I have no objection to it being demolished although I think its a shame. But the replacement must be better surely?

City Rd is in danger of becoming an absolute horror show which would be a shame as although its not architecturally special it is a good secondary centre close to the city centre and with well judged additions to the street (or replacements for some of the derelict buildings) it could be excellent.

Karl

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 11:28 am

Here's the link to the City Road proposal

https://planningonline.cardiff.gov.uk/o ... ab=summary

cardiffian

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 4:40 pm

This design is probably the worst I have ever seen! absolutely appalling, I don't min them building flats but they need to be at least of the quality of the building they replace.

amp

PostFri Oct 09, 2020 7:34 pm

Awful

DavidH71

PostSat Oct 10, 2020 7:29 pm

That really is a shocker. The scale is wrong, and the materials make no attempt to harmonise with the surroundings. It's just boring architecture-by-numbers. The old pub may not be spectacular but it has character ànd could easily have been converted to flats, with sympathetic extensions at the back and at roof level in keeping with the style of the building.

Thewasp

PostSat Oct 10, 2020 10:18 pm

Any other way of seeing the proposals as cant see it on that other website

sebcity

PostSat Oct 10, 2020 11:20 pm

That is effing horrible!

Brian62

PostSun Oct 11, 2020 11:30 am

Karl wrote:Here's the link to the City Road proposal

https://planningonline.cardiff.gov.uk/o ... ab=summary

Bring your children to work day paying dividends.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum