It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:05 am

General Developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: General Developments

PostThu Nov 19, 2020 10:21 pm

Really good to see social housing being proposed in the inner city. Social housing in vibrant mixed communities works so much better than large estates on the margins.

As for the current Fitzalan site, I wouldn't be so sure it will go for housing. Ysgol Treganna and Ysgol Pwll Coch combined have a six form entry between them so there may be a need for a Welsh Medium secondary school in the area. It would make sense to locate a WM secondary school on the Fitzalan site, sharing sport facilities with the English medium school.

Bishop84

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 6:12 pm

Ash wrote:Really good to see social housing being proposed in the inner city. Social housing in vibrant mixed communities works so much better than large estates on the margins.

As for the current Fitzalan site, I wouldn't be so sure it will go for housing. Ysgol Treganna and Ysgol Pwll Coch combined have a six form entry between them so there may be a need for a Welsh Medium secondary school in the area. It would make sense to locate a WM secondary school on the Fitzalan site, sharing sport facilities with the English medium school.

I thought the council wanted to build a new Fitzalan School as the existing buildings were 'not fit for purpose' and need extensive repairs? If that is correct wouldn't being able to repair and improve the buildings to accommodate a new WM school negate the reason for the new buildings?

Would the requirement for a new WM secondary school be better served by placing it in a different area of the city? Otherwise 3 of 4 WM secondary schools would be with 3 miles of each other in the west of the city. Unless, of course, the demographics show the need to be there. Hopefully the council will come up with a solution as all 3 existing WM secondary schools are reported as being fully subscribed already!

Ash

PostSat Nov 21, 2020 4:57 pm

No I don't think the current buildings could be refurbished but with continuity of EM education ensured by the new Fitzalan, the WM could be a new build on the old Fitzalan site.

The point about the location is correct but if you look at the locations of WM primary schools in Cardiff,the demand is overwhelmingly in the west and the north of the city. Interestingly, the reverse is true for Catholic schools.

Quite why that should be is a bit of a mystery since it doesn't seem to be anything to do with social class. It may be that when the city grew in Victorian times that people from the rest of Wales tended to settle in the West while people comong from England and Ireland settled in the East. Some of that may have carried through to the present day.

That's just a wild guess on my part!

Bishop84

PostSun Nov 22, 2020 6:49 pm

Ash wrote:No I don't think the current buildings could be refurbished but with continuity of EM education ensured by the new Fitzalan, the WM could be a new build on the old Fitzalan site.

The point about the location is correct but if you look at the locations of WM primary schools in Cardiff, the demand is overwhelmingly in the west and the north of the city. Interestingly, the reverse is true for Catholic schools.

Quite why that should be is a bit of a mystery since it doesn't seem to be anything to do with social class. It may be that when the city grew in Victorian times that people from the rest of Wales tended to settle in the West while people comong from England and Ireland settled in the East. Some of that may have carried through to the present day.

That's just a wild guess on my part!

That is an interesting observation on why the WM schools are located where they are - TBH I never thought of that.

Somehow I think that a brand new WM secondary on the old Fitzalan site may be, unfortunately, wishful thinking with it more likely that housing will be built on that site. It will be interesting to see how the council will address the need for WM secondary education as, other than Fitzalan, the only new build secondary I've heard about is the proposed replacement of Willows High in Tremorfa.

LocalLurker

PostMon Nov 23, 2020 5:24 pm

Although I think this is in mostly in the Vale, it's close enough to Cardiff and close to the aforementioned developments in the Leckwith area for interest, 250 homes planned on the banks of the River Ely:

https://penarthnews.wpcomstaging.com/20 ... velopment/

Plans for 154 homes to be built just off Penarth Road in Llandough as well:

http://llandoughhill.co.uk/

jones4891

PostWed Nov 25, 2020 6:50 pm

"Principality Stadium to get skywalk and zip wire attraction as plans approved"

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/ ... w597HHxMLI

jones4891

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 5:56 pm

RE The Proposed redevelopment of the Roath Park pub, I received this email today:
---
Dear friend

We’re getting in touch because you signed our petition opposing plans by developers to demolish the Roath Park pub on City Road to make way for a 7-storey block of flats.

Firstly, thank you so much for taking the time to sign the #SaveTheRoathPark petition. The Roath Park is a beautiful building and is the last Victorian pub on City Road. It’s an important part of the city’s history, and the fabric of our community.

We’re really pleased to be able to tell you that the planning application for demolition – which should have been heard by the Council’s Planning Committee this Wednesday - has now been withdrawn by the developers after they learned that Cardiff Council planning officers had recommended that it should be refused.

Whilst this is obviously great news, it’s quite possible that slightly altered plans could be resubmitted, so the long term future of the Roath Park building is far from guaranteed. Rest assured that we, the local councillors representing Plasnewydd, will keep on fighting to protect the building. We may contact you again if we need to petition to #SaveTheRoathPark from a future threat, if that’s okay.

Thanks again for supporting the campaign to save this important piece of old Cardiff.

All the very best & Merry Christmas

Dan, Pete, Sue and Mary

Councillors for Plasnewydd

Y Cyng | Cllr Dan De’Ath

Cynghorydd dros Plasnewydd | Councillor for Plasnewydd

Cyngor Caerdydd | Cardiff Council

Twitter @DeAthCardiff

LocalLurker

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 6:16 pm

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/poli ... g-19459684

Cathays High School to be built on Maindy velodrome
New velodrome to be built in the ISV

Dr O

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 7:25 pm

I've thought for years that the sports village would make an excellent site for a proper velodrome and other cylcing facilities. It has good cyling links with the Taff and Ely trail both ending there plus the bridge to Penarth and it would finally be another sport facility in the, you know, 'sports' village. The Toy'R'Us site would be ideal, although I'd understand if they give up on the indoor ski slope and put it there.

Karl

PostThu Dec 24, 2020 11:53 am

There is an application to add two storeys to the former Queens West shopping centre and convert it to a hotel with the retail on the ground floor reconfigured. The planning app is on the Council website for those that are interested. The additional storeys look to be in keeping with the building and style of existing building and full use of the building is to be welcomed.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum