It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:52 am

Guildford Terrace

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

LocalLurker

Re: Guildford Terrace

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 1:35 pm

Seems hardly worth the effort if they are only opening the canal on Churchill Way from Queen St to North Edward St. Should've been down to Bridge St at least.

DJKiran

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 2:01 pm

That looks amazing. I really hope people don't complain about it

Ash

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 2:48 pm

LocalLurker wrote:Seems hardly worth the effort if they are only opening the canal on Churchill Way from Queen St to North Edward St. Should've been down to Bridge St at least.

It does say it's the first phase of the reopening. Presumably, we'll have to wait for the MA Rapport masterplan for the canal quarter to see what will happen to the southern section.

Msmurf

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 4:03 pm

While the proposal clearly states that this is only Phase 1 of the Canal Quarter, I doubt if the whole of Churchill Way will be opened up as much of it is needed for bus corridor. We need to see a Masterplan of the Rapport/CIA area
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

Ash

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 4:20 pm

Msmurf wrote:While the proposal clearly states that this is only Phase 1 of the Canal Quarter, I doubt if the whole of Churchill Way will be opened up as much of it is needed for bus corridor. We need to see a Masterplan of the Rapport/CIA area

You may be right. On the other hand, Churchill Way is very wide since it combines the area taken by the Dock Feeder and its banks and the former Pembroke Tce and Edward Tce, the streets which were either side of it. There might be room for the bus corridors of either side of the canal.

It might be an idea as well to restore the original street names when the canal is uncovered. I don't feel strongly about it but Churchill Way feels a bit dated as a name and I'm not sure it's a suitable street name for the Welsh capital given Churchill's role in the Tonypandy riots.

Msmurf

PostThu Dec 17, 2020 8:15 pm

Agree completely about dropping Churchill name. Should be erased from map of Wales
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

cardiffian

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 9:16 am

Churchill sending the troops to Tonypandy is largely a myth, read up on it.

DavidH71

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Quite a few positive things in this plan. Good to see the emergence of the dock feeder ( it's not a canal, unless they make it navigable), and presumably the concept will be extended southwards when we get the plans for the Rapport/Motorpoint area. Hopefully this will breathe some life into the rather forlorn eastern end of Queen Street - though that also depends on something being done with the Capitol Centre.

Excellent news that the rotten City Hall subway is to be replaced with a wide surface crossing; this will make Boulevard De Nantes feel much less like a barrier. Not convinced they need a public square at that location - a wide walkway lined by grass and trees would do nicely. Sometimes the council seem intent on laying down vast expanses of paving.

Finally, as a relative newcomer to Wales I am reluctant to dip my toes into political and historical debates. But in general terms, the current fashion for renaming streets and buildings, and pulling down statues, fills me with deep discomfort.

Amoore

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 2:26 pm

I agree with changing the name of the street. I believe when the statue toppling debate was at its peak over the summer, Pulse proposed "Leo Abse Way" considering his contribution to the legalisation of homosexuality. His firm also had substantial offices on the street for many years. It kinda sounds more modern than Churchill Way and more suited to a trendy development.

Ash

PostFri Dec 18, 2020 5:23 pm

DavidH71 wrote:Finally, as a relative newcomer to Wales I am reluctant to dip my toes into political and historical debates. But in general terms, the current fashion for renaming streets and buildings, and pulling down statues, fills me with deep discomfort.

Normally I'd have some sympathy with that. What I was suggesting though was that with feeder restored, we could revert to the original street names, Edward Tce on the east side of the waterway and Pembroke Tce on the west as they were named prior to culverting in the 1950s.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum