It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

Castle Street

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Re: Castle Street

PostSun Jun 13, 2021 5:46 pm

Lewis is on the money, I think. The increase of traffic on Lwr Cathedral Road, Clare Road and along the embankments has been very noticable and, as he points out, a lot of people live on those streets, mainly in houses that front directly onto the road.

I think the council has probably made the correct decision for the short term particularly since now would be the worst possible time to introduce a congestion charge. Longer term, well we shall see.

Simon__200

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 10:29 am

Thewasp wrote:Big step backwards I feel. I know its annoying its closed but opening it up again is not a long term answer I dont think.
Interesting to see majority of over 55 year old voted to open it whilst younger lot voted to keep as it is.

Surely forcing traffic travelling a comparatively short fist distance, from one side of the city centre to the other side, to have to go around Bute Park via an already congested Cathedral road, would have been worse in the long-term.

dazplott

PostMon Jun 14, 2021 3:23 pm

I’ve seen anecdotal evidence of traffic displacement and it is, of course, a logical effect of closing castle street, but I don’t think the council has published any empirical evidence of this. I’d be surprised if they hadn’t monitored traffic volumes on the streets likely to be impacted though. Again, I suspect that the council is hiding behind the result of the survey rather than explain the issues.

Agree that a congestion charge, or rather a “clean air zone” charge, will now be reconsidered. Last time they looked at it they concluded that a package of non-charge measures was the better option. This was pre-covid though and I think it’s still to early to tell what the post pandemic traffic patterns will be in the city centre. Commuting and shopping habits are likely to show some permanent changes and we would hope to see improvements in public transport as the metro is implemented.

DavidH71

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 11:15 pm

Once Castle Street has reopened, it would be interesting to know what % of the traffic is using it to access the city centre, and what % is going cross-city from one suburb to another. This will have important implications for what public transport improvements will be the most effective at enticing people out of their cars. But in the short term, the focus needs to be on encouraging people to come into the centre, regardless of what transport mode they use. A recent news article stated that footfall in the shops is still 30% lower than before the pandemic, one of the largest declines of any UK city.

Thewasp

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 11:36 am

Would digging a tunnel underneath castle Street be too expensive?
It seems the only way to appease everyone!

AWarmerBeer

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 5:00 pm

Thewasp wrote:Would digging a tunnel underneath castle Street be too expensive?

I've thought about this before - a tunnel from the Boulevard de Nantes / North Road junction under the castle and river, popping out in Sofia Gardens somewhere. Of course there's absolutely no chance this would happen for all sorts of reasons but I remain optimistic for a car-free Castle Street nevertheless! :lol:

LocalLurker

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 7:13 pm

It's a regressive step opening it up again to all. Hope the Council are taken note of the backlash to this. The City Centre is a better place with less traffic in it.

amp

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 8:06 pm

So glad it’s reopening to cars as it’s an absolute nightmare going behind cri to canton, as you need to go past residential housing all along. No one lives by the castle so better health impact for this to reopen. Pollution is so bad there before because of all the diesel buses and taxis keeping their engines running. Council should electrify all the buses, taxis and trains in Cardiff first and create more cycle lanes, train stations etc which they are doing but it’s taking ages for them to do it.

Msmurf

PostFri Jun 18, 2021 7:11 am

Thewasp wrote:Would digging a tunnel underneath castle Street be too expensive?

Underneath Castle Street would be prohibitively expensive and cause massive disruption. But building a cut and cover tunnel behind the castle - connecting the Boulevard De Nantes/ North Road Junction via Sophia Gardens to Cowbridge Road would be much cheaper, minimise disruption and environmental impact. It could possibly use existing bridge but a new crossing is probably better
Build it and they will come.
Get it wrong and they will fall off.

dazplott

PostSat Jun 19, 2021 12:37 pm

Let’s be honest, any kind of tunnel is going to cost a fortune and i don’t think digging up Bute park and Sophia gardens will be any more palatable than Castle Street. I can’t foresee any circumstances in which this would be politically or economically viable.
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum