It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

St. Davids Shopping Centre

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ben In London

Re: St. Davids Shopping Centre

PostTue Jun 08, 2021 12:30 pm

I wonder what the fate will be for Disney Store. They are closing at an alarming rate around the world. Three more UK branches closing this week.

jonnywill25

PostThu Jun 17, 2021 10:46 am

Rolex are apparently opening a boutique on The Hayes, in the unit previously occupied by Michael Kors. Just like Watches of Switzerland operate the Breitling boutique on Hayes Arcade, Rolex will apparently be operated by Laings.

RandomComment

PostTue Jul 27, 2021 10:19 pm

EDIT...Somehow the start of this post got deleted!

Has anyone seen the new St Davids lettings website?
https://www.wearestdavids.com/

When I first posted this, it was under construction and I thought the reference to "our plans" was about plans for redevelopment rather than lettings plans!

I was trying to think what they'd do about the big Debenhams unit.

My initial thought was a new mall that would connect to the upstairs entrance to St Davids II where the upstairs entrance to Debenhams is. But I thought that might damage the viability of much of St Davids I by diverting footfall.

I was then wondering whether we might see something a little like what is opening at Southside in Wandsworth?
https://www.gravity-uk.com/southside-wandsworth
However there are already mini golf (Treetops) and bowling (PlayatPins) very close by, as well as I think Kongs which does the video games. Go karting would be the big addition but not sure its enough on its own for such a central pitch.

I was then wondering whether they would demolish and rebuild - perhaps with some smaller stores and restaurants on the ground and resi and office above. But I realised that might pose problems for service access which is via a ramp that comes up on to the roof over Debenhams.

So TBH I'm a bit stumped as to what they could do with the space.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Ash

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 4:50 pm

I think the ground floor is more easily soluble than the upper levels.

One obvious use for the ground floor would be a food court, sonmething that the city centre lacks at the moment. A mix of chains and indie operators could be quite a buzzie destination.

The upper levels are probably only suitable for some sort of leisure use given the lack of active frontage. As you say though most of the obvious uses are already catered for elsewhere. Maybe if the truly horrible Millenium Plaza was demolished to complete the Central Square development, SD could take up some of the leisure slack.

Simon_SW17

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 12:46 pm

I can see something like a Time Out market working really well http://www.timeoutmarket.com.

Maybe a fruit and veg and foodie market as well, a re-imagination of the St.David's market plus add in delis, bakeries etc.

One floor could be leisure based, what happened to All Star Lanes who were due to open in The Capitol? Would be a much better location & Flight Club are very popular and are all big venues http://www.flightclubdarts.com.
Last edited by Simon_SW17 on Tue Aug 03, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

DavidH71

PostSun Aug 01, 2021 2:07 pm

Whatever happens to the ground floor, I hope the opportunity will be taken to restore an active frontage to Hill Street and the area at the back of the Catholic cathedral. At present these streets are rather lifeless and just used as a shortcut to get elsewhere. But they could be made quite pleasant - neighbouring Barrack Lane shows what can be done.

oldishDevil

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 8:44 pm

Ah yes, the good old days of the food court.
I remember Queens West when it first opened, and there was usually me and about 5 other people in the
food court upstairs.
The one at the Capitol was usually quite busy, but that didn't last long either.
There's a lot more disposable income now than there was in the late 80's and early 90's, so maybe it
could be time to try the concept again.
Bricks and mortar retail is struggling, so why not try again I suppose.

jonnywill25

PostThu Aug 05, 2021 7:25 pm

Seasalt are the latest retailer to close in St David's. They've vacated their store on The Hayes (LG85). The Hayes is currently only 65% let. Units previously occupied by Cath Kidson, Radley, Links of London, Crabtree & Evelyn and TM Lewin remain unoccupied. The unit previously occupied by Michael Kors is currently being amalgamated with unit LG61 to create a larger Laings boutique.

Elsewhere in the centre, Sky have opened in unit LG03, whilst Morphe have opened their 7th UK store in unit UG37.

On Town Wall in SD1, Yankee Candle have submitted a planning application to occupy unit 21 which was previously occupied by Thorntons. This will leave Town Wall fully let, however Shoe Zone are currently displaying closing down signage.

jonnywill25

PostWed Aug 25, 2021 9:48 pm

I've found a new (low quality) leasing map for the centre, dated August 2021. Neither the ground or upper floor maps are particularly interesting and no new retailer's can be seen. That being said, the Debenhams unit has been coloured white on both floors, with the exception of a small pink section highlighted on the upper floor.

The Upper floor map reflects a sub-division of the unit. I've attached the Upper Grand Arcade map for anyone who may be interested. The section which has been subdivided appears much smaller than I expected.

Based on the knowledge, TW21 has been let to Yankee Candle, I believe units highlighted green indicates 'In Solicitor's Hands' or 'In Negotiation' whilst dark pink indicates 'Available'.
Attachments
upper_floor_aug21-01.png
Upper Floor Aug21
upper_floor_aug21-01.png (133.99 KiB) Viewed 17292 times

Ash

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 6:20 pm

As someone predicted upthread, Disney is closing in a few weeks.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/disney-store-cardiff-st-davids-21496370
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum