It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:36 am

Newport

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Kyle

Re: Newport

PostFri Nov 13, 2015 5:17 pm

Jantra wrote:my grampy was from zooport, he had a proper gwent accent. one has to ask where does the cardiff accent end and the newcastle upon usk accent begin?

Until I started working in Newport I could never tell the difference. It's very subtle and I still get it wrong.

The city centre seems to be picking up a bit though, what with this new shopping centre, some new offices going up and various other developments.

There's certainly a fair few new homes going up as well.

One of my biggest issues with the city is the number of employers based on business parks compared to those in the city centre, the balance is all wrong and doesn't help the city centre out one bit. There's some significant employers in the city and it's a shame barely any of them are in the city centre.

Ash

PostFri Nov 13, 2015 7:27 pm

Jantra wrote: newcastle upon usk

Clever, I sees what you done there, clart! ;)

I wonder why its 'Newport' in English but 'Newcastle' in Welsh. Does any one know which name is the older of the two?

Jantra

PostFri Nov 13, 2015 8:44 pm

I've often wondered that. My own (probably incorrect) guess is that it was called Casnewydd ar wysg in Welsh because at that time it was predominantly a castle (Norman???).

AS time went on the place became more anglicised - say mid 19th century, as it was more of a port, rather than calling it newcastle (as there was one already) it was renamed newport. up until that point it probably didn't have an english name.

there is no evidence for this and its only a not very educated guess on my part

Lyndon

PostFri Nov 13, 2015 9:18 pm

Well, according to Wikipedia, which must be true:

The settlement of 'Newport' is first mentioned as novo burgus established by Robert, Earl of Gloucester in 1126.[3] The name was derived from the original Latin name Novus Burgus, meaning new borough or new town. The city can sometimes be found labelled as Newport-on-Usk on old maps.[4] The original Welsh language name for the city, Casnewydd-ar-Wysg (pronounced [kasˈnɛwɪð ar ˈwɪsk]) means 'New castle-on-Usk' (this is a shortened version of Castell Newydd ar Wysg) and this refers to the twelfth-century castle ruins near Newport city centre. The original Newport Castle was a small motte-and-bailey castle in the park opposite Newport Cathedral. It was buried in rubble excavated from the Hillfield railway tunnels that were dug under Stow Hill in the 1840s and no part of it is currently visible.[

Philnpt

PostFri Dec 11, 2020 5:30 pm

New college planned for Newport city centre replacing the ageing leisure centre with a new leisure and wellbeing centre to be built next to the USW building on the river front
Attachments
6C7A6610-80F2-444C-9C0C-17EEA510D3B2.jpeg
6C7A6610-80F2-444C-9C0C-17EEA510D3B2.jpeg (140.89 KiB) Viewed 6983 times

sweetfeet

PostSun Dec 12, 2021 10:26 pm

The USW building in Newport has a doppleganger. Somewhere in Holland I think. Just saw it on Alex rider season 2 on Amazon prime: https://ibb.co/Kjkz3f2. @Paul. Sorry forgot how to embed images :? so happy for you to fix it if you want!
Previous

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum