It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:51 am

Cardiff Retail

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

jonnywill25

Cardiff Retail

PostSat Feb 07, 2015 6:52 pm

February Update

- Clintons has closed on Queen Street! Back to just one city centre store in St. Davids.
- Laura Ashley has closed down on Queen Street.
- DW Sports are opening a city centre store above Superdrug on Queen Street (In the old JJB unit)
- Costa is opening in the old Peacocks unit on Queen Street.
- The old GAP store is currently empty again after a string of temporary lets.

Karl

Re: Cardiff Retail

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 5:55 pm

Some news -

There is an application to change the use of the former NatWest in St Mary st to a charity HQ (some sort of Hare Krishna Centre). Bit disappointed by this. I thought this building could have made a very nice 'boutique hotel' and it would have been nice to see the car park with the entrance on Quay St developed.

Artigiano has applied to open in Queen Street )I think the building is called Windsor Court - it's a white concrete 1980's building between Windsor Place and Park Lane. Artigiano appear to be an Exeter based outfit who are operating along the same lines as the Loungers group - ie. coffee, food and cakes in the day then wine bar/pub in the evening. I think it will do quite well in that location - it's on the natural route between the bars and restaurants in Windsor Place and Churchill Way. It's also nice to see a bit of variety in the Queen Street offering - it's quite a sterile place after 6pm.

Cardiff Uni bookshop that was in the High st arcade unit facing High Street has closed. Not surprised by this at all, never saw anyone go in there.

I've been told that the tattoo parlour that is currently under Floyds is moving across the road to the unit next to Greggs (used to be an opticians).

Ash

PostMon Feb 09, 2015 11:51 pm

Karl wrote:Cardiff Uni bookshop that was in the High st arcade unit facing High Street has closed. Not surprised by this at all, never saw anyone go in there.

I think I'm right in saying that bookshop was a remnant of The University of Wales rather than a Cardiff Uni one.

I'm not sure what's left of the UoW. Gregynog is still there, the press still operates and Trinity Saint David's use the name.

I wonder where the money is. The UoW had huge endowments as a result of the Welsh Church Act. We're talking hundreds of millions of pounds. It must have gone somewhere. Was it shared out between the Unis - or did the Welsh Government scoff it?

Karl

PostTue Feb 10, 2015 1:26 pm

Ash - you are right. I went past today and it's definitely University of Wales.

Amoore

PostWed Sep 02, 2015 2:40 pm

Accessorize is closing in the Capitol Centre, according to the hoardings filling their window. I'd have thought the Queen Street facing part of the centre would have been the most sought after so if they can't keep those full, there's no hope!

Amoore

PostSun Oct 04, 2015 7:39 pm

Dorothy Perkins on Queen Street is closing. It's relocating to replace Miss Selfridge in the shared unit with Burton. Miss Selfridge is moving to the 1st floor of Topshop, presumably as some sort of concession.

Century Falcon

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 12:09 pm

There is building work and what looks like fit out going on in the old Kamigata unit on the ground floor of St Davids 2. Does anyone know who the tenant is?

Simon_SW17

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 12:27 pm

The unit is showing as available on the SD letting plans so guess it may be a pop up for Xmas

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/business-news/st-davids-centre-offers-local-10198888

In other retail news there's a planning app to add 2 new entrances to the old Calders store from Adore of London. It's planned to be called Castle View Souvenirs & Coffee Shop. Exciting stuff.

Simon_SW17

PostTue Oct 06, 2015 7:57 pm

The Kamigata unit is going to be a shop called Inspired Kitchens

Jantra

PostWed Oct 07, 2015 8:05 am

Simon_SW17 wrote:The Kamigata unit is going to be a shop called Inspired Kitchens

Would have sounded better if they sold carpets
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum