It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:10 am

Aston Martin confirmed

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Ash

Aston Martin confirmed

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 10:11 am

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2016/feb/24/james-bond-carmarker-aston-martin-to-open-wales-factory-for-dbx-model

The luxury carmaker Aston Martin has announced it will open a new factory in south Wales, creating more than 750 jobs.

The luxury marque will build its new DBX crossover model at a plant in St Athan in the Vale of Glamorgan from 2020 following a worldwide search for a new manufacturing facility.

The plant will be Aston Martin’s second factory and would create an estimated 1,000 jobs in the wider supply chain and local businesses, the company said.

Frank

Re: Aston Martin confirmed

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 12:50 pm

That sounds brilliant. It's the kind of thing that could boost the image of Wales.

Without getting off the point I'm not so worried about the falling pound, which anyway is just a correction to our safe haven status. It'll make it easier to sell these kind of things abroad.

Zach

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 7:09 pm

When I heard this on Radio4 this morning I thought brilliant news, but as the details trickled out I have become a little sceptical.
Valleywood meets LG electronics.

The car is going to be an electric/hybrid vehicle aimed at women with the code name "Charlotte".
Not exactly what Aston Martin are best known for.
The words taking a punt come to mind.
I wonder how much of the Labour WAG election budget was the bribe, Edwina was a bit tight lipped on the amount, funny considering its our money!

Now Miss Money-Penny can I use your car once it's fully charged.

Ash

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 7:21 pm

This is the description of the car. I'm not quite sure where Zach got 'Charlotte' from! It's called the DBX.

The two-door 4x4 grand tourer aimed at wealthy families was a surprise revealed almost a year ago at the 2015 Geneva Motor Show.

Although the car unveiled was an all-electric 4x4 with four separate motors at each wheel, Aston Martin's final production version - expected to retain the DBX name - is set to be a four door hybrid petrol-electric hatchback crossover.

It's set to go head-to-head with sporty SUV rivals including the new Bentley Bentayga, Jaguar F-Pace and Maserati Levante, along with the Range Rover Sport and Porsche's Macan and Cayenne.

At the time of the unveiling, Aston Martin said the DBX aimed to 'challenge the nature of luxury GT travel in the 21st Century.'

A spokesman said: 'It has been created to defy conventional thinking about the luxury GT segment. It widens the appeal of the iconic British luxury brand and reaches out to a more diverse global audience than ever before.'

Zach

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 7:46 pm

I'm not quite sure where Zach got 'Charlotte' from! It's called the DBX.

The MD of Aston Martin was being interviewed on Radio Wales this morning and this is the code name given to it as he said it would be aimed at Women. Designers and engineers would ask "what would Charlotte want?"

Oliver Hydes (Radio Wales) then said it sounds like a Range Rover Vogue type market, blingey. MD sort of agreed.
Oli then said the only Charlotte we know has a singing career, noisy parties and lives a few miles from the plant, as which point the MD did not sound at all happy the way the interview was going :lol: !!

A spokesman said: 'It has been created to defy conventional thinking about the luxury GT segment. It widens the appeal of the iconic British luxury brand and reaches out to a more diverse global audience than ever before.'

B*ll*cks!
Last edited by Zach on Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frank

PostWed Feb 24, 2016 7:48 pm

Wouldn't EU state aid rules limit the opportunity for any brown envelopes? I hate to be cynical about something like this.

Ash

PostThu Feb 25, 2016 12:16 am

Zach wrote:The MD of Aston Martin was being interviewed on Radio Wales this morning and this is the code name given to it as he said it would be aimed at Women. Designers and engineers would ask "what would Charlotte want?"

Oliver Hydes (Radio Wales) then said it sounds like a Range Rover Vogue type market, blingey. MD sort of agreed.
Oli then said the only Charlotte we know has a singing career, noisy parties and lives a few miles from the plant, as which point the MD did not sound at all happy the way the interview was going :lol: !!

That's quite funny - I wish I'd heard that!

Neil

PostThu Feb 25, 2016 10:41 am

As Bruce Dickinson has a business on the same site, I hoping for an 'Aston Maiden' special edition at some point!

LocalResident

PostWed Apr 26, 2017 10:26 am

Looks like Aston Martin have done a nice little promotional video at the St Athan's factory:

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/cars/news/heres-%c2%a365m-worth-of-aston-martins-drifting-and-doing-doughnuts/ar-BBAnMc2?li=BBoPWjQ&ocid=iehp

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum