It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

Bayscape

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Bayscape

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 11:29 am

Still alive!

There's a very recent planning notice outside the current site (where the boats are landed).
And it seems the planning application has changed on the council website.

The code is 15/01463/MJR.

Looks like Rio Architects are involved with this one again. The most recent D&A still contains the tower in Phase 2. Looks like we could be seeing some work done finally!

Shminky Binky

Re: Bayscape

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 11:42 am

Bit early for April Fools!

Cen

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 12:10 pm

Part of me wishes it was an April Fools! The changes made to the proposed buildings are awful. Doesn't give me much hope for the changes they've obviously made to the tower design...

If they're using the same "dark metal cladding system" as the flats directly opposite, or the flats at Cardiff Pointe, this is going to look awful.

Cen

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 12:27 pm

Two of the new images. Is it just me or does it seem like Rio Architects have a bit of an obsession with dark cladding?
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (75.31 KiB) Viewed 19385 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (72.58 KiB) Viewed 19385 times

Shminky Binky

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 12:30 pm

Cheap cladding similar to 1 Capital Quarter just darker.

Cen

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 12:34 pm

I'm starting to worry that the whole ISV is turning into a massive missed opportunity. I don't see how developers can get away with such dramatic changes in design and material quality. The original designs showed full glass buildings, and they even mention this in the latest D&A. They're excuse to change the materials is essentially "because it's cheaper".
Last edited by Cen on Thu Mar 31, 2016 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lyndon

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 12:36 pm

Shminky Binky wrote:Cheap cladding similar to 1 Capital Quarter just darker.

Apparently it's aluminium, so I doubt it's cheap.

I really like Rio Architects, One Central Square is a fantastic building, and it's nice to see someone break up the Holder Matthias/Powell Dobson duopoly on major projects in South Wales.

Shminky Binky

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 12:46 pm

I agree with 1 Central Square. We will see how these new buildings turn out but like Cen i am not impressed. I know this is also Rio but if the client asks for cheap they will design cheap. The buildings in Cardiff always turn out to look worse than how they appeared in their designs. Another going down this route is the new student accommodation at Windsor Place, as the scaffolding comes down it is starting to look like a slightly better version of Ty Pont Hearn. It looks hideous and i actually liked the designs.

1 building i was surprised with though was Admiral. I did not like those designs at all but i quite like the finished building, even if it is a bit short.

RandomComment

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 4:47 pm

Shminky Binky wrote:1 building i was surprised with though was Admiral. I did not like those designs at all but i quite like the finished building, even if it is a bit short.

Thats what you get with simple pale stone-effect buildings. Its also why I like Maldron and Sleeperz (although they are slightly warmer stone colours).

I will take a look at the new Bayscape designs. I'm not that keen on dark cladding to be honest - whether aluminium or the cheap plasticy stuff that gets used. But if the massing works well, and it actually catches the light somewhat in reality (on the rare days its properly sunny in Cardiff) it might work.

Zach

PostThu Mar 31, 2016 4:55 pm

Bayscape

I am intrigued, tell me more?
Is Sir Christopher Odling-double-barrelled-Smee still evolved in this brake neck speed venture.

This is how it all began, many years ago.......

Christopher
Aug 30, 2009 - 9:33AM
Quote Reply Bayscape
All,

Quick update follows:

- Bayscape planning committee to be mid-Sept
- Contract negotiations with hotel operators now underway. Final contract to be agreed within 90 days. I don't think you will be disappointed when formal announcement comes.
- Looking to build new building at Cardiff Marine Village (subject to planning). Current spaces fully let of course.
- Project underway to develop a marine village in Swansea (subject to planning)
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum