It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:34 am

Bar News

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Karl

Re: Bar News

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 4:56 pm

I think if you walk from Callaghan Square you are probably walking into town anyway. Unless you really like Coffee No 1 why stop in the Golden Cross? Ditto those staying in hotels. The student tower will not be built until 2018 at the earliest I reckon.

If I was Brains I would look at one of the units in High Street/Church Street. A few of the empty ones were formerly catering units, there is much greater footfall, and it covers that end of town. Plus that end is becoming much more food/drink led so Coffee No 1 would be a good fit.

Just my two pennorth. I am not a coffee shop magnate or indeed do I have any experience in the hospitality business or business in general but somehow I feel qualified to give unsolicited advice to Brains on strategic decisions.

Amoore

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 5:57 pm

Karl wrote:I think if you walk from Callaghan Square you are probably walking into town anyway. Unless you really like Coffee No 1 why stop in the Golden Cross? Ditto those staying in hotels. The student tower will not be built until 2018 at the earliest I reckon.

If I was Brains I would look at one of the units in High Street/Church Street. A few of the empty ones were formerly catering units, there is much greater footfall, and it covers that end of town. Plus that end is becoming much more food/drink led so Coffee No 1 would be a good fit.

Just my two pennorth. I am not a coffee shop magnate or indeed do I have any experience in the hospitality business or business in general but somehow I feel qualified to give unsolicited advice to Brains on strategic decisions.

I think I would have agreed with you at one point, but then I said that Coffee#1 under The Aspect wasn't a great idea and it seems really busy all the time.

When you think about it, what can The Golden Cross be instead? It doesn't seem to work as a bar, is too small to be a restaurant, and for the reasons that you've given it would be difficult to extend upstairs as M&B did with The Kings Cross to make The Corner House.

I agree as rumours go it seems a little far fetched considering there are few changes which could be made to the decor, but I'm not sure if much work would be needed to turn The Golden into a coffee house if they chose to make the existing interior into a feature.

Crucially, Brains have form for this, having previously converted a grade 2 listed pub into a Coffee#1 in Leominster, and another in Aberystwyth.

Ash

PostThu Apr 21, 2016 10:07 pm

I'm guessing that the Golden Cross is a freehold Brains property and because of the listed status it has virtually no saleable value.

Coffee #1 probably has a better chance of turning a quid there than any pub option - particularly with the student tower planned opposite. To be fair Brains seems to have a hit with Coffee #1 - they seem to be very busy places even in unlikely locations.

zygoticmynci

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 9:35 am

I was once told that Brains need to have a "gay bar" on their roster and that the Golden is pretty much left to its own devices.

RandomComment

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 5:55 pm

Im torn as to what to think about this.

On the one hand, the economist in me says if its not pulling its weight as a pub, and there is more demand for a coffee shop in that location: let the change commence.

On the other, I think its a shame if the only options for Cardiff's gays are the loud and brash Pulse, Wow and Kings.. or the seedy "Eagle". The Golden has never actually been that great, but it is a bit quieter and attracts a different kind of crowd that might not feel comfortable surrounded by squarking young queens and aggressive Valleys lesbians.

Zach

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 6:12 pm

I don't want to do a Laurie Taylor and list the reasons why the socio demographic transitions from a narrowly defined heterogeneous Straight/Gay bar culture may be on the way out. But, it is!
Wow is no more gay than some of the hen night drinking dens, except it has drag on.

As for the ole Golden, I really don't know.
Maybe if there is a world shortage of kitsch picture ceramic tiles it may come back into its own.

Amoore

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 6:25 pm

Zach wrote:I don't want to do a Laurie Taylor and list the reasons why the socio demographic transitions from a narrowly defined heterogeneous Straight/Gay bar culture may be on the way out. But, it is!

You are so very right. Some of the - and I say this with some affection - 'older queens' hold a degree of resentment that what used to be a thriving gay scene is dwindling.. but it's a sign of the progress that has been made in attitudes to gay people.

If you walk into the likes of Pulse and the Kings and Wow Bar, you see a very mixed crowd, gay and straight, all mixing together. They still feel very much like gay bars to me, but the next generation.

When i've visited The Golden Cross it has felt a bit like going back in time... except quieter.

Ash

PostFri Apr 22, 2016 7:43 pm

RandomComment wrote:aggressive valleys lesbians

I've never heard any of their stuff - are the on iTunes? I'm guessing they're a Manics tribute band. ;)

DaveE

PostMon May 09, 2016 7:55 pm

Just spotted this here: http://www.propertyweek.com/news/dirty-martini-expands-into-cardiff/5081914.article

CG Restaurants & Bars’ Dirty Martini cocktail chain will open its first bar outside London in Cardiff after securing a site at 71-72 St Mary Street.

Already listed on their site: http://dirtymartini.uk.com/cardiff/. I think this maybe all or part of the existing Maddison, not sure!

Lyndon

PostMon May 09, 2016 9:38 pm

Wales Online have beaten you to it:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/food-drink-news/exclusive-london-cocktail-bar-dirty-11306964

One of Mayfair's high end cocktail bars is launching its first venue outside London - in Cardiff .

Dirty Martini, run by CG Restaurants & Bars, will open at the former Maddison site in St Mary Street, which will undergo a £1m refurbishment and create 65 new jobs.

Recently voted the best 'Happy Hour' in London, Dirty Martini, which has seven bars in the English capital, is renowned for its bespoke cocktails and stylish and sophisticated interior.

Welshman Scott Matthews, Chief Executive Officer at Dirty Martini, said: "This is a big step for us and Cardiff’s strong economic growth and outstanding nightlife offers the brand a fantastic opportunity to establish Dirty Martini amongst a city of discerning cocktail lovers.
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum