It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:46 am

Cardiff Arms Park

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

Re: Cardiff Arms Park

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 6:38 pm

Would they try to repeat the trick at the Millenium Stadium and move around 90 degrees whilst maintaining the main stand? That would mean the opportunity to remodel 'Glanmor's Gap' would be lost of course. The rest of the project would be remarkably simple though. Just have to find about 8-9000 seats. Obviously a fair bit of bulldozing to be done and I'm sure they'd want some corporate boxes and facilities. Personally it would be nice if they were ambitious on capacity and kept ticket prices down. Not much chance of that though!

Peiriannydd

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 10:08 pm

Given the history between Cardiff and the WRU when they tried to rebuilding the main stadium, it's probably asking too much to see some joined-up thinking on the proposed plans to redevelop the Westgate St Entrance to the Stadium.

I'd really like to see these two parties get together and sort a development out that sees the Arms Park built up to c.15,000 capacity stadium, the North Stand rebuilt, the entrance and Westgate St and the Holiday Inn tidied up. Surely it's better to work together on this than have two compromised developments side-by-side competing against each other?
Attachments
How-the-Westgate-Plaza-scheme-could-look.jpg
How-the-Westgate-Plaza-scheme-could-look.jpg (48.5 KiB) Viewed 20371 times

Rhodri

PostThu Dec 10, 2015 11:45 pm

The Nth Stand of the MS is not Cardiff's fault. That the WRU didn't read guidance relating to applying to the MC for funding is telling.

Any redevelopment of the Arms Park will, I understand, be toward Holiday Inn.

Peiriannydd

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 7:41 pm

I know it's only an opinion peice, but this is an interesting read:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... k-11240891

It's a lot of money for the Blues to find and I'm doubtful they'll get the cash. It seems to me (and I believe that I've said this before) that a joint development is a much better idea. I'm not quite sure though how you can quite have a "seemless" development with the Westgate St flats in the way. I certainly hope nobody suggest knocking those down!

Jantra

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 7:47 pm

Why would the Cardiff blues need to be involved. They are only the tenant.

I agree regarding the flats. They are, in my humble opinion, the best the city centre has to offer in terms of architecture.

Doesn't the site also have restrictive covenant in the way too?

Peiriannydd

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 8:09 pm

Jantra wrote:Why would the Cardiff blues need to be involved. They are only the tenant.

I agree regarding the flats. They are, in my humble opinion, the best the city centre has to offer in terms of architecture.

Doesn't the site also have restrictive covenant in the way too?

The Blues "need" to be involved as they are the ones pushing for the development! The Cardiff Athletic Club has no plans to develop the Arms Park. But yes, I always thought that the land had to be used for leisure activities as set out by the Butes.

There was an office building on Westgate St, where the current gate is, that looked very similar to the old Fire Station that was opposite (now the ugly carpark). So I believe that land which the WRU want's to develop is different. But I'm surprised/sceptical that they could use the rest of the site for commercial purposes, unless they can get around it by having a mixed development?

I agree regarding the flats, they're fantastic and long may they stay!

Ash

PostMon Apr 25, 2016 8:34 pm

Jantra wrote: Doesn't the site also have restrictive covenant in the way too?

I think the covenant may be something of an urban myth. It didn't prevent the Athletic Club selling off the land for both the Westgate Street flats and the Holiday Inn - nor does it prevent them operating a large surface car park on a portion of the site.

I have no knowledge of this but I suspect the way that previous developments were offset by the development of Sophia Gardens for cricket and tennis suggests that the original covenants became moot when the whole of the Castle estate was gifted to the city in the 1940s. Any covenant may well be with the Cardiff Castle estate (i.e the council) rather than with the current Bute estate. That's total guesswork on my part.

murfilicious

PostTue Apr 26, 2016 4:22 pm

Jantra wrote:Doesn't the site also have restrictive covenant in the way too?

I wouldn't go as far as to say restrictive covenants are not worth the paper they are written on, but there is certainly a legal precedent for having them overturned relatively simply.

Temperence town (Central Square) originally had a covenant forbidding the opening of licensed premises - I'm not sure when it was repealed but it's certainly not in place any more.

If there is enough demand for this sort of development and if there is indeed a restrictive covenant, it won't be an issue.
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Philnpt

PostMon Aug 29, 2016 8:53 am

It looks like the the blues want to incorporate a conference centre in with the development of the arms park, also offices and apartments
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... y-11812406

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostMon Aug 29, 2016 10:52 am

Philnpt wrote:It looks like the the blues want to incorporate a conference centre in with the development of the arms park, also offices and apartments
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... y-11812406

Wow that's one heck of a squeeze! Mind you if they trash the holiday inn for a slimmer taller build on site, and the bowling green will have to be a ground share with the blues!! :lol: Anyway it would be incredible if we were to get another great stadium for the city and of course the conference centre that Cardiff is lacking. I would love to see some plans for this development as I can't imagine how tightly packed everything would be, those apartments and offices will need to be pretty vertical - Westgate Street flat residents may not be all for this one (mind you it wont harm the price of their properties). Also if the blues develop the leckwith stadium for the time required then that would great for welsh athletics as surely an additional stand would be required. So it's all pretty positive stuff, we'll just have to watch that space!
oh and while we're in the area would this potential development link up with wru westgate st plans?
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum