It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:14 am

WalesOnline - is this really news?

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

Re: WalesOnline - is this really news?

PostTue May 17, 2016 7:16 pm

In defence of walesonline, how much are people paying to read this journalism? And therein lies the problem. What is the future of newspapers, local ones in particular? Without good local journalism something vital will be lost.
Last edited by Frank on Tue May 17, 2016 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RandomComment

PostTue May 17, 2016 7:43 pm

Frank wrote:In defence of walesonline, how much are people paying to read this journalism? And therein lies the problem. What is the future of newspapers, local ones in particular? Without good local journalism though something vital ill be lost.

I agree, which is why I had very mixed feelings when the BBC said it was pulling back from local news (albeit it will continue with regional news). On the one hand, will this give some space back to commercial operators? On the other, could it mean there will be no source for such news at all?

I find the decline of local media quite tragic. I think proper reporting of local politics, for instance, is becoming increasingly important with the drive towards more devolution and localisation. Its bad enough in Wales, where people still don't fully understand who's responsible for what after 17 years of devolution, and with the BBC at least trying to do something in the Welsh news about it. What it will be like in English cities and regions when they have more powers over tax and spending?

Ash

PostTue May 17, 2016 11:47 pm

That's the point. The BBC stopping doing stuff won't revatalise local newspapers. It just means nothing is covered by anyone.

Disgracefully, the Western Mail / Wales Online have decided that they will no longer base a full-time journalist at the Assembly. I assume cat videos get more hits. So much for the "National Newspaper of Wales!"

It's a total disgrace, but the irony is that Media Wales is still highly profitable. The money is siphoned off for shareholders, executive pay and to prop up the Daily Mirror's legal bills.

murfilicious

PostFri May 27, 2016 3:39 pm

My all time favourite article on WalesOnline:

May bank holiday opening times for B&Q, Homebase, Wickes and Screwfix

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/shopping/bank-holiday-opening-times-bq-11395437

Homebase say it's best to use their online store finder for individual shop details before you head there.

Wickes say that local restrictions mean some stores will have different opening hours. It's best to use their online store locater tool to check before you set off

Before you head out you can double-check what time your local ScrewFix opens with their store finder tool.

So what time does my local DIY vendor open? Not sure, check their website... Journalism at its very best!
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Zach

PostMon May 30, 2016 11:18 am

I disagree, I find the What's On an invaluable tool!

The Asda opening times were so relevant to readers it was the 1st and the 4th most read article. :lol:

Zach

PostWed Jul 20, 2016 11:17 pm

The editor-in-chief of Wales Online has said he is "absolutely" committed to covering politics.
Politicians and academics have previously blamed diminishing coverage of Welsh politics for creating a "democratic deficit" of information about Welsh affairs.
Paul Rowland told BBC Wales arts and media correspondent Huw Thomas that online media was about serving "many audiences" but it was not "chasing clicks at all costs."
He explained how building a loyal readership was the key to what they did.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-36836019

I must laugh at his title the "Editor-in-Chief", which narrower pipped "The Supreme Editor" in the ironic rag mag pool.

They really don't put up click bait, do they?

As the mercury hit 32.4C, thousands of people hit the beaches across Wales - including those who are brave enough to go commando.
:?

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/w ... y-11638060

murfilicious

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 3:50 pm

Minor point but WalesOnline always always ALWAYS use the phrase "mercury hit xx'C" when they talk about a heatwave - even though mercury hasn't been used in thermometers in the UK since the passing of an EU directive in 2009...
Some days you are the pigeon and some days you are the statue...

Frank

PostThu Jul 21, 2016 6:09 pm

I'm sure my thermometer has got Mercury in it. Probably decades old.

MattW

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 12:22 pm

What would happen if a nuclear bomb hit Cardiff?

Hmm, I wonder..

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/lifestyle/ ... b-11617648

Simon_SW17

PostMon Jul 25, 2016 12:27 pm

That's under the section 'Fun stuff' :lol:
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum