It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:13 am

Cardiff University, Maindy Road developments

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Frank

Re: Cardiff University, Maindy Road developments

PostThu Jul 14, 2016 5:45 pm

Where's the money shot?

Jantra

PostThu Jul 14, 2016 8:16 pm

Frank wrote:Where's the money shot?

wrong forum Frank

:mrgreen:

Frank

PostFri Jul 15, 2016 11:31 am

It's hard to get excited about floor plans. Let's see the whole thing.

Ah I realise they added some 3D visualisations on the 13th. Looking good.

HalRobsonKanu

PostFri Jul 15, 2016 3:13 pm

HI there. Long time reader, first time poster here.

Slightly off topic from Maindy Road, but Cardiff University are also planning a major development on Park Place, the Centre for Student Life, which will effectively form a new entrance to the Student Union building. The building is scheduled for completion in 2019 and it looks as though a planning application will be submitted soon.

Further details here:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/__data/assets/ ... boards.pdf

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostFri Jul 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Hi Hal R-K and welcome! great first post (and great goal by the way!).

Wow! Love that proposed Student Union entrance/building, looking forward to planning app and approval. Cardiff University is on a roll!! We knew 2016 would be busy, but it seems to be lining up a very very busy 2017.
CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Frank

PostFri Jul 15, 2016 4:41 pm

Cardiff University seem to go on and on. You start to wonder if they've got some secret backer ;)

One thing I don't understand is endowments. According to wiki..... Cardiff's is a pittance at £28m. That's lower than pretty much any major UK University I can find. Cambridge was £6bn! Anyway they seem able to fund plenty of new stuff somehow.

Peiriannydd

PostFri Jul 15, 2016 6:32 pm

Frank wrote:Cardiff University seem to go on and on. You start to wonder if they've got some secret backer ;)

One thing I don't understand is endowments. According to wiki..... Cardiff's is a pittance at £28m. That's lower than pretty much any major UK University I can find. Cambridge was £6bn! Anyway they seem able to fund plenty of new stuff somehow.

Yes, my College has a greater endowement than Cardiff University and most other UK universities for that matter! But then, it did have a head start of a few hundred years. It also helps that alumni have a lingering bond to the College which means we're much more likely to donate. Ivy League universities have a similar culture which benefits them enormously. Bristol tried a fund raising launch a few years ago, but it seems to have gone a bit flat. Most UK unversities are well behind in the game.

Cardiff University has taken a very different approach and has been raising a substantial sum of money through the issue of bonds, the first UK university to do so. They're showing some serious ambition and should be commended for some forward thinking. The idea is to follow similar models to Oxford and Cambridge in the way university-based research is used by spin-off companies set up by the university in nearby business parks that then generate income for the university. This is why the grant money (from the City Deal) for the semi-conductor stuff is so important.

There are some exciting times ahead for Cardiff University and they will bring a lot to the wider city.

RandomComment

PostFri Jul 15, 2016 6:38 pm

HalRobsonKanu wrote:HI there. Long time reader, first time poster here.

Slightly off topic from Maindy Road, but Cardiff University are also planning a major development on Park Place, the Centre for Student Life, which will effectively form a new entrance to the Student Union building. The building is scheduled for completion in 2019 and it looks as though a planning application will be submitted soon.

Further details here:
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/__data/assets/ ... boards.pdf

I'm not sure I like this actually - the image on slide 4 is a little bland in my view. OK, it hides the ugly Student Union. But I quite like the redbrick building housing Costa and Subway - which the report deems of "little value - and I think this would benefit from either being more interestingly modern to properly contrast with the older buildings nearby.. or more in keeping with their style. At the moment, its just a rather bland modern building which neither contrasts nor complements.

Frank

PostFri Jul 15, 2016 7:20 pm

Peiriannydd wrote:
Frank wrote:Cardiff University seem to go on and on. You start to wonder if they've got some secret backer ;)

Yes, my College has a greater endowement than Cardiff University and most other UK universities for that matter! But then, it did have a head start of a few hundred years. It also helps that alumni have a lingering bond to the College which means we're much more likely to donate. Ivy League universities have a similar culture which benefits them enormously. Bristol tried a fund raising launch a few years ago, but it seems to have gone a bit flat. Most UK unversities are well behind in the game.

Cardiff University has taken a very different approach and has been raising a substantial sum of money through the issue of bonds, the first UK university to do so. They're showing some serious ambition and should be commended for some forward thinking. The idea is to follow similar models to Oxford and Cambridge in the way university-based research is used by spin-off companies set up by the university in nearby business parks that then generate income for the university. This is why the grant money (from the City Deal) for the semi-conductor stuff is so important.

There are some exciting times ahead for Cardiff University and they will bring a lot to the wider city.

Interesting. The cost of borrowing should be fairly cheap at the moment of course. I just hope they don't build up too much debt. We don't want the University equivalent of Northern Rock! Yep we certainly don't have a culture of donating to our Universities. Sad when you consider how much money some people have made in recent years.

jonbvn

PostSat Jul 16, 2016 9:27 am

Anyone who is interested can voice their opinion on the proposed Cardiff Uni buildings via the public consultations available as per the link.

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/about/our-prof ... nsultation
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum