It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:50 am

Cardiff restaurants and cafes

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

lucky

Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 12:31 am

Starting a new thread because I couldn't see one and they are popping up in other threads by default.

Also, Cote are apparently opening a second branch in Cardiff. Their one in Mermaid Quay is said (by the staff) to be the most profitable branch outside of London and it certainly always seems busy (and very friendly). Mind you, that may be partly a reflection on the declining quality of the competition in the Bay.

Simon__200

Re: Cardiff restaurants and cafes

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 12:09 pm

Isn't practically all the competition down the bay now owned by the same group aanyway? Is Côte seperate,or just part of this same group?

Cardiff

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 3:07 pm

I heard Cote were opening in the old Ladybird unit on Mill Lane. Also ladybird are opening tonight next to the old Crystal. I like Cote, have been there a couple of times, excellent service every time.

lucky

PostFri Sep 12, 2014 7:03 pm

Cote are a national chain and separate to the group in the Bay that are owned by the man from the Showman's Guild Of Great Britain, which includes some of the Italians and the tapas bar and Mimosa. I've never really understood why belonging to a Showman's Guild was a recommendation for a restaurant?

Karl

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 9:12 am

The Echo report that Burger and Lobster are opening in Cardiff -

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/f ... nt-7795170

I'm sure they must use this forum as a news source. I'm sure that there is some kudos to having the likes of Wahaca, Burger and Lobster, Brewdog opening up in the city. They give a different vibe to other chains like Walkabout and Revolution, but they are still chains. For a much more interesting dining experience I would take Roath or Canton over the city centre or the Bay any time.

Ash

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 3:33 pm

Karl wrote: For a much more interesting dining experience I would take Roath or Canton over the city centre or the Bay any time.

I tend to agree with that. Canton particularly seems to have had a lot of good openings over the past few years - Purple Popadom, Chez Francis, Duck Egg Bleu, Fablas, @Tea,Victoria Park Creperie, Landsdowne, Arbennig, Fat Pig etc. It seems that the Vic Park area in particular is shaping up as the next Pontcanna. (*Ducks head and waits for the 'there is no such place as Pontcanna' post :? *)

Jantra

PostFri Sep 19, 2014 5:04 pm

Ash wrote:
Karl wrote: For a much more interesting dining experience I would take Roath or Canton over the city centre or the Bay any time.

I tend to agree with that. Canton particularly seems to have had a lot of good openings over the past few years - Purple Popadom, Chez Francis, Duck Egg Bleu, Fablas, @Tea,Victoria Park Creperie, Landsdowne, Arbennig, Fat Pig etc. It seems that the Vic Park area in particular is shaping up as the next Pontcanna. (*Ducks head and waits for the 'there is no such place as Pontcanna' post :? *)

There is no such place as Victoria Park, unless you mean the fine Victorian park built on Canton common

:mrgreen:

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 12:44 am

Jantra wrote:
Ash wrote:

There is no such place as Victoria Park, unless you mean the fine Victorian park built on Canton common

:mrgreen:

I notice that you put your location down as Penarth, although you have written many times that you live in the marina area. This is not really Penarth, we Penarthians see your area as bring more Cogan than Penarth and that will always remain the case. You do not, at present, live in Penarth.

Maybe you could amend your location? Oh and how charming that you've chosen work by an artist from Bristol as your avatar!

Ash

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 11:01 am

Mr Blue Sky wrote: I notice that you put your location down as Penarth, although you have written many times that you live in the marina area. This is not really Penarth, we Penarthians see your area as bring more Cogan than Penarth and that will always remain the case. You do not, at present, live in Penarth.

I think the whole Marina / Penarth / Cogan thing is a bit of an estate agent's invention. When I was a kid that area was always regarded as part of Grangetown. ;)

Mr Blue Sky

PostSat Sep 20, 2014 12:17 pm

Ash wrote:
Mr Blue Sky wrote: I notice that you put your location down as Penarth, although you have written many times that you live in the marina area. This is not really Penarth, we Penarthians see your area as bring more Cogan than Penarth and that will always remain the case. You do not, at present, live in Penarth.

I think the whole Marina / Penarth / Cogan thing is a bit of an estate agent's invention. When I was a kid that area was always regarded as part of Grangetown. ;)

Quite. I don't live in Penarth, although most of my family do. I find it to be quite snobby and increasingly anglicised, which is a shame given its links to Plaid Cymru.

I live in Pontcanna, which has existed for centuries, despite what Jantra says. Pontcanna is becoming increasingly snobby and anglicised, which is a shame, given its links to Plaid Cymru.

Thankfully, Grangetown and Canton are now chock full of gogs and west Walians, so Cardiff's identity as a Welsh city isn't too threatened.

On a lighter note, the Foresters aka the Mad House in Canton is now a Papa John's Pizza takeaway. It was an awful pub, dirty and full of lunatics, but Canton now has way more takeaways than is healthy, in my opinion.
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum