It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:36 am

Dolffin Quay

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Cen

Dolffin Quay

PostFri Nov 18, 2016 1:13 pm

Thought this development deserved a proper thread (even if its name is a bit odd!).

"This is the first look at a building which could change the skyline of Cardiff Bay.
Developers want to build this 20 storey building at a new development called Dolffin Quay.
ABP Land and Property say that it would revitalise the eastern side of Cardiff Bay.
Dolffin Quay is located between the Bay and Roath Basin along Harbour Drive."

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/local ... d-12190885

A public consultation will be held at Cardiff Central Library on Thursday 24th November, between 11.30am and 7pm.
Attachments
Dolffin Quay.jpg
Dolffin Quay.jpg (77.09 KiB) Viewed 15810 times

Jantra

Re: Dolffin Quay

PostFri Nov 18, 2016 1:30 pm

what are the green things half way up?

Cen

PostFri Nov 18, 2016 1:33 pm

Jantra wrote:what are the green things half way up?

I asked the same question in another thread. Absolutely no idea!

Kyle

PostFri Nov 18, 2016 1:46 pm

The name does my head in. Either have the full name in Welsh or English!

I like the shape and size of it, I don't see an issue with it, particularly if more retail/food units open up as part of it as well, but then I'm not overly bothered by losing the green space. Easy to say as I don't live or work there but appreciate many would.

Talking of housing in that area, what's going on with the Porth Teigr homes that had planning permission ages ago?

Jantra

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 6:54 pm

I wonder if they could add a diving board at the top, or even a water slide

redragon

PostSat Nov 19, 2016 7:06 pm

Kyle wrote:
Talking of housing in that area, what's going on with the Porth Teigr homes that had planning permission ages ago?

Now that was actually a decent, thought out and appropriate scheme - unlike this one (in my opinion).

jonbvn

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 8:16 am

Hideous name. Hideous design.

It would completely overwhelm the Norwegian Church, which IMHO is a defining Cardiff landmark.

lees

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 9:15 am

Love this building, Cardiff has some nice buildings but very limited tall and interesting one, this would be a welcomed addition to cardiffs skyline in that area

Looking forward to more tall and interesting ones in that area such as the two residential tower blocks by the pool and the two hotels ( 6 star hotel and the bayscape they also look tall

Lyndon

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 10:26 pm

jonbvn wrote:Hideous name. Hideous design.

It would completely overwhelm the Norwegian Church, which IMHO is a defining Cardiff landmark.

I agree. It's an horrendous overdevelopment of the site and very unlikely to be past the planning committee, I reckon.

Simon_SW17

PostSun Nov 20, 2016 11:52 pm

jonbvn wrote:Hideous name. Hideous design.

Absolutely, the design completely overwhelms the whole vicinity and the name is almost as bad as Mermaid Quay. There surely must be enough history in Cardiff docks to draw some inspiration from?
Next

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum