It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:59 pm

Central quay

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

Zach

Re: Central quay

PostSat Oct 08, 2016 2:21 pm

Its a shame Trago Mills has started in Merthyr as this would be been a great addition to Cardiff city centre, with their unique and conceptual architecture and wide range of upmarket shops, together with eateries people just die for!

Philnpt

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 4:07 pm

Looks impressive, nice to see that they have incorparated the old chimney into the plans.
It does look very dense though.
http://www.walesonline.co.uk/business/b ... y-12212942

Zach

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 4:19 pm

Talk about over development and a complete mush-mash.
What is the game with all the latest development lately, to submit the most crowded plans so when they get rejected they submit what should be built in the first place.?

Its looks like these fine houses are for the chop as well. :shock:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.4735079,-3.1786014,3a,66.8y,253.44h,95.66t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s8Lir_8657284BIq1cjAb8A!2e0?hl=en

Cen

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 4:45 pm

It does look a bit tight, but the images show some good quality development. I like the shape of the tower too, looks like its got some height!

Cardiff

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 6:23 pm

Quite a bit larger than the brewery site alone, includes the railway land. Where are cars to park and where is pickup and drop off gonna happen for travelers?

Exciting to see a plan like this again though, hopefully the offices at central square will encourage at least the retail part to be built.

redragon

PostTue Nov 22, 2016 7:28 pm

Retail is highly unlikely given the location and era, and restaurants means the same chains as everywhere else (town, brewery quarter, Bay.

And then a tall building to conceal the Brains chimney and overshadow any nearby open space...

I would like to be a fly on the wall at a pre-application meeting.

Neil

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 10:00 am

Again I hope that the houses that front Penarth Road and that are on Percy St, Harpur St and Crawshay St are not needlessly demolished for this either, as a modern development will contrast nicely with some older housing stock.

RandomComment

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 11:42 am

To be frank, quite a few of those houses are in a right old state. Architecturally, they're pretty good - and on a nice quiet street in Roath, Canton (Pontcanna?), Grangetown even (sorry Paul), they might be des res. However, on busy Penarth Road, and next to a brewery which can be a bit noisy, they aren't so desirable. They also do not have the scale or grandeur of the houses on Park Place or Cathedral Road, say, to stand up against large scale developments behind them. They would look less like a nice touch of heritage, and more like a forgotten afterthought.

I think the current plans look too dense a development with buildings too close together. Indeed, it would probably be preferably to go a few extra floors on a few buildings in order to shrink their footprints to open up wider 'roads' and perhaps a secondary open space or square. Even so I think 3 million square feet would be ambitious on that site if they want to go mostly mid-rise and don't want it to appear too crowded.

I'm still worried about permeability of the site and connection to the city centre. I'vehad a look on Google Streetview to see if there would be any change of a river walkway connecting to the existing one by the Stadium and it looks pretty difficult given the really quite low railway bridge. Without such a link though, the only access would be from the bottom of St Mary's via Penarth Road (and that would rely on the Network Rail land / car park being made available). Or possibly some through route via an upgraded Cardiff Central. OK, most of the pedestrian traffic might want to go that way, but if part of this is about making more use of river frontage (which talk of a moorings suggests), it will be quite hard to get any "passing traffic" to that part of the site.

paul cardiffwalesmap

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 6:57 pm

This image shows a continuation of the trees the other side of the railway bridge - I think they intend to have a walkway here - I know it's tight but it looks like that is what's planned. Maybe the car park at the back of 1 central square needs to be sacrificed to provide an option to access central square rather than via wood street? Reckon the tallest structure we're going to have soon will be a multi storey car park as we're losing a lot of spaces!! Generally on this scheme I'm really looking forward to more details on it as it looks like there's a lot going on down there!! exciting times! oh and that tower looks like a biggy! presumably the last part of the scheme to be built :roll:

CARDIFFWALESMAP http://www.cardiffwalesmap.com ---- CARDIFWALESMAP TWITTER https://twitter.com/cardiffwalesmap
CARDIFF DEVELOPMENTS flickrphotos https://www.flickr.com/photos/8761770@N05/

Mikey

PostWed Nov 23, 2016 7:29 pm

It also says Central Key on the signage :D
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum