It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:22 am

Eastern Bay Link

if it's about Cardiff.. Sport, Entertainment, Transportation, Business, Development Projects, Leisure, Eating, Drinking, Nightlife, Shopping, Train Spotting! etc.. then we want it here!
  • Author

wais7190

Re: Eastern Bay Link

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 12:45 am

RandomComment wrote:
wais7190 wrote:https://www.google.co.uk/amp/www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales-news/demolition-work-cardiffs-maelfa-shopping-11505739.amp?client=ms-android-samsung

Considering nothing happened yet, its funny

And can you also post in a relevant topic? What has this got to do with the Eastern Bay Link? (General Developments for anything small like this!).

I saw eastern bay link since its in the east, i couldnt be bothered to find another one about it

Zach

PostSat Jan 07, 2017 2:10 pm

I saw eastern bay link since its in the east, i couldnt be bothered to find another one about it

How very dare you annoy and disagree with Random Comment, he likes things done properly.
If he was a weather forecaster, they would always be right! :D if he was a forum moderator then posts would always be moved to their correct thread!

Zach

PostMon Jan 09, 2017 6:36 pm

We have now installed all the bridge beams and have completed over 40% of the deck works. We are also working in Queen’s Gate and Ocean Way roundabouts.

Nice new image.

They will have to put traffic lights on the Ocean Way roundabout or it will turn into grid-lock with two lanes of vehicles cutting off traffic from leaving Ocean Way itself.

moyceyyy

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 3:28 am

Found something interesting here fellas. The Eastern Bay Link (a4232) looks like it will be completed in due course as an infrastructure improvement to complement the Cardiff LDP (Local Development Plan). It seems to fly over the Ocean Way roundabout, (could make sense why they're clearing trees in the middle of it) and then heads along a route that perfectly fits Rover Way. To me it seems like they are dualling rover way and (hopefully) grade separating it.

Whats interesting about the map below is that a large part of the A48 (in RED) will become the easternmost section of the Eastern Bay Link (in BROWN), and will continue as the EBL until it reaches Pentwyn. Three major junctions, from Queens Gate, all the way up to the A48, are all highlighted in yellow, meaning ''Strategic junction improvement' which to me, tells me that this will all be grade separated. If that is the case, then the a4232-a48 junction next to Pen-y-lan will have to me HIGHLY modified to support high quality dual carriageway as the main route underneath the junction will have to be realigned to the future EBL. :shock:

This document was released this time last year, 6 months AFTER phase 1 of the EBL started, so this document is well in date. :mrgreen:

jonbvn

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 8:37 am

As posted previously, the Llanederyn/Penylan A48 junction will need a serious upgrade to meet the anticipated traffic flows from the A4232. I can see a possibility of forcing all traffic from/to Llanederyn/Penylan to use the next junction at Pentwyn, also suggested previously.

moyceyyy

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 11:53 am

Do you think that the A4232 will just run into the side of the Pen-y-lan junction or will the roundabout be modified to have the A48(W) run into the roundabout and the A48(E) run straight into the A4232?

jonbvn

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 1:43 pm

moyceyyy wrote:Do you think that the A4232 will just run into the side of the Pen-y-lan junction or will the roundabout be modified to have the A48(W) run into the roundabout and the A48(E) run straight into the A4232?

Based on my purely anecdotal appraisal of traffic flows on the A4232 & A48(W) I think the A48(W) will run into the rounadabout. Although this is quite a crucial decision, since it could change the whole flow of traffic into and around Cardiff, with people using different M4 junctions to get into the city.

moyceyyy

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 3:27 pm

jonbvn wrote:
moyceyyy wrote:Do you think that the A4232 will just run into the side of the Pen-y-lan junction or will the roundabout be modified to have the A48(W) run into the roundabout and the A48(E) run straight into the A4232?

Based on my purely anecdotal appraisal of traffic flows on the A4232 & A48(W) I think the A48(W) will run into the rounadabout. Although this is quite a crucial decision, since it could change the whole flow of traffic into and around Cardiff, with people using different M4 junctions to get into the city.

I agree. Crashing the extremely busy a4232 into an A48 Junction would be chaos, even with dedicated turning lanes.

Jeremy

PostMon Feb 27, 2017 11:14 pm

This document was released this time last year, 6 months AFTER phase 1 of the EBL started, so this document is well in date. :mrgreen:

http://i.imgur.com/LlhFaMy.png

This is the same plan from about 1980, nothing new here, but do not worry it will only take another 40 years to get around to Eastern Avenue but by then we will have self driving cars and the Llanedreyn junction will be a Stargate.

dazplott

PostTue Feb 28, 2017 12:50 am

I don't think there is any chance of a flyover at Ocean way. They haven't splayed the carriageway as new road joins the roundabout so there is no room for a ramp. They don't appear to have prepared for a flyover on the Queensgate end either, so I think they have destroyed any reasonable chance of there being fully grade separated EBL in the future. Whilst there is probably just enough space to dual Rover Way, its going to be a nightmare in terms of disruption. Its aways seemed a very poorly constructed roadway and will probably need extensive works to fully stabilise the ground. The early 90s route was along the foreshore on a viaduct/embankment with a possible intersection at Seawall Road. To my mind this remains the only feasible solution for a grade separated route. Best case, they might be able to drop the two existing roundabouts near the steelworks on Rover Way and provide an access road to the industrial units on the south side via a new roundabout at Seawall Road. Then you've still got the Tesco junction at the Lamby Way end and the docks access just off ocean way roundabout... unless you build a long bridge across the railway line from Ocean Way roundabout . Either way, I think the construction costs will be broadly similar to the first phase e.g. £50M/Km
PreviousNext

Return to Cardiff Wales Map forum